Cross platform animated plot with widgets

Cross platform animated plot with widgets

Emmett McQuinn-3
Hello,

I've been trying to create an animated plot with matplotlib that supports parameter updating with a slider. I've been able to have animation, and also create a slider (using matplotlib.widgets), but not both at the same time. I've tried various permutations and it seems exclusively either the graph animates or the widgets work and not both. Is there a good method to provide a simple lightweight GUI that provides both animation and sliders for Linux, Windows, and Mac?

Thanks,
Emmett McQuinn

Re: Cross platform animated plot with widgets

Almar Klein

On 13 August 2010 02:24, Emmett McQuinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to create an animated plot with matplotlib that supports parameter updating with a slider. I've been able to have animation, and also create a slider (using matplotlib.widgets), but not both at the same time. I've tried various permutations and it seems exclusively either the graph animates or the widgets work and not both. Is there a good method to provide a simple lightweight GUI that provides both animation and sliders for Linux, Windows, and Mac?

Thanks,
Emmett McQuinn

Visvis can be used for that. It currently does not have a slider widget, but you can embed a visvis figure in a simple GUI application that has a slider. (There's an example how to do that in the examples dir.) Supported GUI toolkits are Qt4, WX and FLTK (if you really want to go lightweight :)).

http://code.google.com/p/visvis/

Almar

Re: Cross platform animated plot with widgets

Didrik Pinte-5
Le 13/08/2010 2:24, Emmett McQuinn a écrit :
Hello,

I've been trying to create an animated plot with matplotlib that supports parameter updating with a slider. I've been able to have animation, and also create a slider (using matplotlib.widgets), but not both at the same time. I've tried various permutations and it seems exclusively either the graph animates or the widgets work and not both. Is there a good method to provide a simple lightweight GUI that provides both animation and sliders for Linux, Windows, and Mac?
Hi Emmet,

You should take a look at Chaco. They are a some examples using a slider and updating the content of the plot (can be much more complex than a slider with for example a zoomable legend colorbar).

-- Didrik