Enthought installation

lorenzo bolla
Hi all!

I'm trying to install the Enthought distribution on my windows box, with the following command:
enstaller enthon ets

After having downloaded all the packages, the installation aborts with the following error:

<snip>
easy_install> Processing enthought.traits-2.0.4.tar.gz
easy_install> Running enthought.traits-2.0.4\setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir c:\docume~1\bollal~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-7dblsa\enthought.traits-2.0.4\egg-dist-tmp-nxxivf
error: Setup script exited with error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible binaries.
Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin installed,
you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

Obviously, I do not have Visual Studio, but I do have cygwin with mingw32 compiler.
I tried the simple command: enstaller enthon ets -c mingw32, with no luck.

Any hints?
Lorenzo

Re: Enthought installation

Gael Varoquaux
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 05:03:42PM +0200, lorenzo bolla wrote:
>    I'm trying to install the Enthought distribution on my windows box, with
>    the following command:
>    enstaller enthon ets

>    After having downloaded all the packages, the installation aborts with the
>    following error:

For help installing the Enthought distribution, you are better off asking
on the enthought-dev mailing list. I could try to help you, but I don't
use windows, so my help will be limited.

However, I can see that you are trying to install the source packages,
which is making things harder. If you installed the binary packages it
would be easier. How to do this with enstaller, I do not know.

Cheers,

Gaƫl

Re: Enthought installation

Peter Wang
On Apr 18, 2008, at 10:03 AM, lorenzo bolla wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm trying to install the Enthought distribution on my windows box,
> with the following command:
> enstaller enthon ets
>
> After having downloaded all the packages, the installation aborts
> with the following error:
<snip>
> Obviously, I do not have Visual Studio, but I do have cygwin with
> mingw32 compiler.
> I tried the simple command: enstaller enthon ets -c mingw32, with no
> luck.

You should create a pydistutils.cfg file to let distutils know that
you want to use mingw32 to build extensions.  Here are the steps:

1. Create a c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\pydistutils.cfg file
(where USERNAME is your login) with the following contents:
    [build]
    compiler=mingw32

2. Create the new environment variable HOME and set it to the value c:
\docume~1\USERNAME where USERNAME is your login name.
3. Start a new instance of the cmd.exe.

Let me know if the above doesn't work for some reason.  Also, as Gael
mentioned, questions regarding enthought-specific stuff will get more
visibility if you ask them on the enthought-dev mailing list. :)

-Peter