Mac OS X and mkl and modifying site.cfg

Chris Lee-13
Hi Everyone,

I sent this message earlier in the week, but it didn't seem to go through, so I am resending it.

I know this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer and certainly what I am doing is not working.

I want to link my numpy install to the MKL libraries on Mac OS X (10.5)

I have installed the mkl libraries and they have ended up buried in /Libraries/frameworks...
I have edited the site.cfg package to read:

[DEFAULT]
library_dirs = /usr/local/lib:/opt/intel/fc/10.1.014/lib
include_dirs = /usr/local/include:/opt/intel/fc/10.1.014/include

[mkl]
library_dirs = /Library/Frameworks/Intel_MKL.framework/Libraries/universal
mkl_libs = mkl, vml
include_dirs = /Library/Frameworks/Intel_MKL.framework/Headers

Python seems to find the intel fortran compiler all right but it doesn't appear to even look for the mkl libraries

I have also tried other variations on this but it seems that the site.cfg file is ignored by setup.py
When I looked in setup.py, I noticed that configuration expects to add site.cfg.example. I changed that to site.cfg but it didn't make any difference.

If anyone knows what the site.cfg file should look like for a default Mac OS X install with mkl, would they please let me know?

Thank you all very much.
Cheers
Chris
Chris Lee
Laser Physics and Nonlinear Optics Group
MESA+ Research Institute for Nanotechnology
University of Twente
Phone: ++31 (0)53 489 3968
fax: ++31 (0)53 489 1102

Re: Mac OS X and mkl and modifying site.cfg

cdavid
Chris Lee wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I sent this message earlier in the week, but it didn't seem to go
> through, so I am resending it.
>
> I know this question has been asked before but I can't seem to find
> the answer and certainly what I am doing is not working.
>
> I want to link my numpy install to the MKL libraries on Mac OS X (10.5)

By link, you mean rebuilding numpy and scipy with MKL, right ? The
configuration file should certainly be named site.cfg, otherwise, it
won't be taken into account.

What does the following return : python setup.py config ?

Note that for MKL 10, you will have to tell numpy to change the name for
MKL as well (with lapack_libs something, it is mentioned in the
site.cfg.example). I don't know why Intel thinks it is a good idea to
change the library name every release, it is extremely annoying,

cheers,

David

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 4:22 AM, Chris Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> I sent this message earlier in the week, but it didn't seem to go through,
> so I am resending it.

It got through, and I responded to it.

http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2008-May/016765.html

though it had an underlying truth."