Naming Ideas

1234

Naming Ideas

The Helmbolds
Names are extremely important. To steal from Mark Twain, the difference between the best name and a poorer name is the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug.
A good name captures attention, stimulates interest, succinctly describes the thing named, and has a positive connotation. Accordingly, time spent choosing a great name is well worth it.
Now, SciPy is a perfectly good name. It’s well-established and widely known and respected. I urge that it be retained and used exactly the way it is currently defined.
If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I suggest we consider something like the following:
MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie". Short for "mathematical system for advanced, large-scale scientific, industrial, medical and engineering computation and graphical display.” MatSysPy currently includes the powerful and versatile NumPy, SciPy, and MatPlotLib modules. Their capabilities are constantly being expanded and improved, and other modules may be added later. These stand-alone modules are carefully designed to take full advantage of Python’s popular programming and scripting language. This enables users to easily invoke those module capabilities best suited to their challenging, large-scale computational and graphical display tasks. As of this writing, a unified overall package providing a fully integrated user interface to these module’s vast range of capabilities is in the planning stage. [or "A unified overall package providing a fully integrated user interface to these module’s vast range of capabilities is under consideration.", whichever is most accurate].

Re: Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
> suggest we consider something like the following:
> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".

Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
name is important

To recap, names suggested so far:

Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
Scipy-base
Unipy
MatSysPy
Pyengine
Pycraft

List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Jerome Kieffer
Pierre Raybaut did a good choice with PythonXY...

--
Jérôme Kieffer
On-Line Data analysis / Software Group

Re: Naming Ideas

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
>> suggest we consider something like the following:
>> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".
>
> Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
> unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
> name is important
>
> To recap, names suggested so far:
>
> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
> Scipy-base
> Unipy
> MatSysPy
> Pyengine
> Pycraft
>
> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?

I'm not a big fan of any.

just another one:

Sciotope or Scitope    the biotope for science (in python)
    biotope has closer sounds in other languages than biome

Josef

> Thanks,
> Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Andreas Hilboll
> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 5:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then
>>> suggest we consider something like the following:
>>> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".
>>
>> Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
>> unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
>> name is important
>>
>> To recap, names suggested so far:
>>
>> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with
>> sciome.com)
>> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
>> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
>> Scipy-base
>> Unipy
>> MatSysPy
>> Pyengine
>> Pycraft
>>
>> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
>> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
>> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?
>
> I'm not a big fan of any.
>
> just another one:
>
> Sciotope or Scitope    the biotope for science (in python)
>     biotope has closer sounds in other languages than biome

I like this one. Or even ScPyotope ...

Andreas.

Re: Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 5 September 2012 12:46,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sciotope or Scitope    the biotope for science (in python)
>     biotope has closer sounds in other languages than biome

Thanks, Josef. I don't think 'biotope' is a familiar word in the
English speaking world, though - I'm a biologist, and I had to look it
up ;-) . Wikipedia suggests it's more common in German. Scitope either
makes me think of topiary, or I hear it as 'cite-hope'.

Andreas
> I like this one. Or even ScPyotope ...

My gut feeling is that four syllables is too many.

While I'm discussing my own opinions, I'd vote against 'pyengine'
(engine connotes more a dumb but powerful processing system) and
'matsyspy' (it sounds more specific, and the syllables don't roll off
my tongue). I haven't yet formed a favourite, although it would
probably be Pyscis if it wasn't for the confusingly similar names.

Another possible vein of names is the snake theme - as in the Python
IDE 'Boa Constructor'. Are any snakes particularly scientific? Perhaps
the adder? ;-). Or there are Monty Python references - but the name
will have to work for people who don't know the joke as well.

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Alan G Isaac-2
SciER
         (SciPy with Extra Resources; Scientific Emergency Room; etc)
Evokes the French scier, "to saw".
Pronounced like sire, "to beget".

Cheers,
Alan Isaac

Re: Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 5 September 2012 13:31, Alan G Isaac <[hidden email]> wrote:
> SciER
>          (SciPy with Extra Resources; Scientific Emergency Room; etc)
> Evokes the French scier, "to saw".
> Pronounced like sire, "to beget".

Not bad - it looks like the only major use of that name so far is
http://www.scier.eu/ - which doesn't seem very active or easy to
confuse with our subject.

Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Nathaniel Smith
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
>> suggest we consider something like the following:
>> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".
>
> Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
> unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
> name is important
>
> To recap, names suggested so far:
>
> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
> Scipy-base
> Unipy
> MatSysPy
> Pyengine
> Pycraft
>
> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?

I said something similar in the numfocus thread, but I'll throw it out again:

The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
here, and it has existing name recognition. Maybe we'd be better off
figuring out how to clean up the existing mess around this name
instead of trying to start something new. (This also would have the
advantage -- or disadvantage -- that it would require concrete tasks
instead of just bikeshedding on the mailing list ;-).)

-n

Re: Naming Ideas

Alejandro Weinstein-3
Two more suggestions:

* knowPy (know as in knowledge, which is a synonym of science)
* skeiPy  (skei is one of the roots of the word "science")

Alejandro.

Re: Naming Ideas

Matthew Brett

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]>Hi, wrote:
>> On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
>>> suggest we consider something like the following:
>>> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".
>>
>> Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
>> unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
>> name is important
>>
>> To recap, names suggested so far:
>>
>> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
>> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
>> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
>> Scipy-base
>> Unipy
>> MatSysPy
>> Pyengine
>> Pycraft
>>
>> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
>> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
>> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?
>
> I said something similar in the numfocus thread, but I'll throw it out again:
>
> The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
> Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
> existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
> are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
> actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
> here, and it has existing name recognition. Maybe we'd be better off
> figuring out how to clean up the existing mess around this name
> instead of trying to start something new. (This also would have the
> advantage -- or disadvantage -- that it would require concrete tasks
> instead of just bikeshedding on the mailing list ;-).)

Well - bikeshedding means putting a disproportionate amount of effort
into something that is not important.  Is the name not important?

pylab seems like a good choice to me, and maybe it's an advantage to
lose 'pylab' from the matplotlib namespace, it could be confusing.

Best,

Matthew

Re: Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 5 September 2012 14:05, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
> Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
> existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
> are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
> actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
> here, and it has existing name recognition.

I quite like this idea at first glance. A quick search suggests that
someone else (Keir Mierle, CCed here) had a similar idea some time ago
: http://www.scipy.org/PyLab

As a minimum, I think we'd need to get pylab.org and build an
introduction site there. pylab.org currently redirects to
https://bitbucket.org/vejnar/pylab_build (a seemingly unrelated use of
the term pylab). But that seems to have been inactive for 2 years, so
maybe vejnar wouldn't mind parting with it.

Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Robert Cimrman

we have enough of pies (something-py) - let's make a cake: scicake :)

r.

Re: Naming Ideas

Travis Vaught-2

On Sep 5, 2012, at 8:05 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
suggest we consider something like the following:
MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".

Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
name is important

To recap, names suggested so far:

Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
Scipy-base
Unipy
MatSysPy
Pyengine
Pycraft

List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?

I said something similar in the numfocus thread, but I'll throw it out again:

The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
here, and it has existing name recognition. Maybe we'd be better off
figuring out how to clean up the existing mess around this name
instead of trying to start something new. (This also would have the
advantage -- or disadvantage -- that it would require concrete tasks
instead of just bikeshedding on the mailing list ;-).)

I'm a fan of this name as well.  It has always captured the goal of this conversation (which has been a goal of previous conversations that resulted in its earlier usage) -- A "clean up" of the existing mess as Nathaniel suggests could be done fairly easily if the domain is available and (more importantly) the community gets behind its use.

Having written this snippet years ago in an attempt to disambiguate the usage of SciPy:

I think this community could craft an even more coherent narrative around PyLab that can move the "brand" forward.

Best,

Travis

-n

Re: Naming Ideas

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 5 September 2012 15:22, Travis Vaught <[hidden email]> wrote:
> A "clean up" of the existing mess as Nathaniel suggests could be done fairly
> easily if the domain is available and (more importantly) the community gets
> behind its use.

I've contacted vejnar to politely ask if he'd consider transferring
pylab.org to us. It seems like the .com and .net names are
domain-squatted, unfortunately.

Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Matt Newville

> To recap, names suggested so far:
>
> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
> Scipy-base
> Unipy
> MatSysPy
> Pyengine
> Pycraft
>
> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?

I would suggest the name "hunter".  It's easily pronounced, and
connotes both the quest of scientific inquiry and the scientific
python community.  As a second suggestion, "orion" makes a slightly
more elliptical reference, but adds emphasis to the scientific nature
of the system.

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>

Re: Naming Ideas

Keir Mierle-2

If you guys put the pylab name to good use, that would be awesome.

On Sep 5, 2012 6:24 AM, "Thomas Kluyver" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5 September 2012 14:05, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
> Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
> existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
> are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
> actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
> here, and it has existing name recognition.

I quite like this idea at first glance. A quick search suggests that
someone else (Keir Mierle, CCed here) had a similar idea some time ago
: http://www.scipy.org/PyLab

As a minimum, I think we'd need to get pylab.org and build an
introduction site there. pylab.org currently redirects to
https://bitbucket.org/vejnar/pylab_build (a seemingly unrelated use of
the term pylab). But that seems to have been inactive for 2 years, so
maybe vejnar wouldn't mind parting with it.

Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Travis Oliphant-6
The name pylab has been suggested in the past for the use-case we are discussing and would be a good name

+1

-Travis

On Sep 5, 2012, at 10:11 AM, Keir Mierle wrote:

If you guys put the pylab name to good use, that would be awesome.

On Sep 5, 2012 6:24 AM, "Thomas Kluyver" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5 September 2012 14:05, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".
> Of course the problem is that people liked it enough that it has
> existing usages (matplotlib.pylab, ipython -pylab, etc.) that AFAICT
> are now considered to be poorly put together and deprecated. But the
> actual meaning has always been pretty much what we're looking for
> here, and it has existing name recognition.

I quite like this idea at first glance. A quick search suggests that
someone else (Keir Mierle, CCed here) had a similar idea some time ago
: http://www.scipy.org/PyLab

As a minimum, I think we'd need to get pylab.org and build an
introduction site there. pylab.org currently redirects to
https://bitbucket.org/vejnar/pylab_build (a seemingly unrelated use of
the term pylab). But that seems to have been inactive for 2 years, so
maybe vejnar wouldn't mind parting with it.

Thomas

Re: Naming Ideas

Dan Goodman-3
On 05/09/2012 15:05, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
>> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
>> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
>> Scipy-base
>> Unipy
>> MatSysPy
>> Pyengine
>> Pycraft
>>
>> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
>> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
>> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?
>
> I said something similar in the numfocus thread, but I'll throw it out again:
>
> The only name that people seem to actually like for this is "PyLab".

PyLab is a nice, clear, memorable name, but I feel like it's a bad fit
for what is being suggested because it brings to mind Matlab, and, at
least to me, suggests that we're just playing catch-up with that. The
existing pylab in matplotlib is well named, because it is more or less
providing a matlab replacement, but if we want to refer to the whole
numpy/scipy/etc. ecosystem, which I believe aspires to be much more than
just a free version of Matlab, shouldn't we be more ambitious and
self-confident in the name?

That said I have no good ideas. From the list above, Sciome is the
nicest but the name clash makes it a bit risky I think.

Is the idea that the ecosystem should be focused on scientific
computation only? I thought that there was a push for more general high
performance computational stuff?

Some vague ideas, none of which are very good:

- Sciosphere (I like the use of the word 'sphere' to represent an
ecosystem, like biosphere, unfortunately already exists as well as not
being very catchy)

- SciGnosis, PyGnosis, etc., i.e. using gnosis (knowledge), although
pygnosis is a bit close to psygnosis the computer game company, and
maybe gnosis has too much religious connotation?

Whatever is chosen, it should be easily Googlable returning preferably
unique results!

Dan

Re: Naming Ideas

Travis Oliphant-6

On Sep 5, 2012, at 4:54 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> On 4 September 2012 03:14, The Helmbolds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If there is a need for a name that includes more than just SciPy, then I
>> suggest we consider something like the following:
>> MatSysPy, pronounced  "mat-sis-pie".
>
> Thanks, I guess you're referring to my recent thread about making a
> unified 'brand' for the scipy ecosystem? I agree that picking a good
> name is important
>
> To recap, names suggested so far:
>
> Sciome - from the numfocus proposal (potential confusion with sciome.com)
> PyScis - pronounced like pisces (potential confusion with PySCeS and
> PySci, two unrelated Python projects)
> Scipy-base
> Unipy
> MatSysPy
> Pyengine
> Pycraft

I like unipy as well.

-Travis

> List subscribers, what do you think? Does one of those names feel
> right to refer to the scipy/numpy/etc. stack? Would you like to rule
> any out? Or can you think of a better name yourself?
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas
1234