Quantcast

NetworkX

Gael Varoquaux
Hi,

I am doing a review of major scientific Python packages. I would like to
know if people have used networkX as an important package in their stack,
and what their research was on. I know it is an important package, I am
just trying to figure out the usecases to find out why it is important,
and not in terms of algorithmes, but in terms of applications, because I
can explain this to non technical users.

Cheers,

Gaël

Re: NetworkX

Gabriel Gellner
> I am doing a review of major scientific Python packages. I would like to
> know if people have used networkX as an important package in their stack,
> and what their research was on. I know it is an important package, I am
> just trying to figure out the usecases to find out why it is important,
> and not in terms of algorithmes, but in terms of applications, because I
> can explain this to non technical users.

I use networkX all the time for my research in Food Webs in mathematical
ecology. I find that networkX in nice for both creating algorithms that walk
digraphs, so that I can calculate different food web statistics, as well as
using the many built in network theory metrics so I can reproduce the
results from the literature.

Is this what you where looking for? I can be more specific . . .

Gabriel

Re: NetworkX

Gael Varoquaux
On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 08:04:28AM -0400, Gabriel Gellner wrote:
> I use networkX all the time for my research in Food Webs in mathematical
> ecology. I find that networkX in nice for both creating algorithms that walk
> digraphs, so that I can calculate different food web statistics, as well as
> using the many built in network theory metrics so I can reproduce the
> results from the literature.

> Is this what you where looking for? I can be more specific . . .

I would be interested in knowing what your graphs represent, in terms
that I can explain to a non scientist. What are the vertices and the
arrows?

Cheers,

Gaël

Re: NetworkX

Christopher Ellison-2
Gael Varoquaux wrote the following on 04/09/2008 01:48 AM:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing a review of major scientific Python packages. I would like to
> know if people have used networkX as an important package in their stack,
> and what their research was on.

I subclass from NetworkX as part of my research with stochastic finite
state automata.  One could also use this for traditional CS finite state
machines as well...

Chris

Re: NetworkX

Gael Varoquaux
On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 04:27:41PM -0700, Christopher Ellison wrote:
> I subclass from NetworkX as part of my research with stochastic finite
> state automata.  One could also use this for traditional CS finite state
> machines as well...

OK. If I understand well this would fall in the field of theoretical
computer science, right?

Cheers,

Gaël

Re: NetworkX

Christopher Ellison-2
Gael Varoquaux wrote the following on 04/09/2008 04:42 PM:
> OK. If I understand well this would fall in the field of theoretical
> computer science, right?

That is certainly one area, especially with regard to traditional FSM.
Depending on the focus, the field can vary: physics, applied math, cs,
machine learning, etc.

Re: NetworkX

Andrew Straw
I am using it in an image analysis app.

Gael Varoquaux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am doing a review of major scientific Python packages. I would like to
> know if people have used networkX as an important package in their stack,
> and what their research was on. I know it is an important package, I am
> just trying to figure out the usecases to find out why it is important,
> and not in terms of algorithmes, but in terms of applications, because I
> can explain this to non technical users.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gaël

Re: NetworkX

jelle feringa-2
Hi Gaël,

Actually when working with graphs I preferred igraph over networkx:
http://cneurocvs.rmki.kfki.hu/igraph/

-jelle