New Scipy website

Thomas Kluyver-2
I'd like to discuss how we can move the new SciPy website (currently at http://scipy.github.com/ ) to be the homepage of scipy.org.

The new site is still something of a work in progress, but it's been there for years, and we can't continue to maintain two sites indefinitely. We've already been bitten by people referring to out of date FAQs, and I think the aesthetics of the new site are a marked improvement. So, first, what does the new site need before it can go live?

Two things I'm already aware of:

- Installation instructions for other package managers (so far we cover apt and macports). Please can users of other Linux distros send me the corresponding installation commands?
http://scipy.github.com/install.html

- The 'Getting started' page should be rewritten to describe the Scipy stack, and from a more newcomer-ish perspective.

Of course, there's a lot of useful information on the existing site - such as the Cookbook - that it's impractical to move to the new site. So, I suggest that we move the current MoinMoin-based site to wiki.scipy.org, and provide redirects so we don't break existing links. Unfortunately, Github pages can't do proper HTTP-based redirects. So we can either use hackish HTML/JS redirects, or host the new site on a server where we can set up proper redirects.

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: New Scipy website

Andreas-119
> Unfortunately, Github pages can't do proper
> HTTP-based redirects. So we can either use hackish HTML/JS redirects, or
> host the new site on a server where we can set up proper redirects.

Wouldn't it be possible to put "empty" HTML files into github pages with
a header content of

url=http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html">

While being inefficient and ugly, I think it should work in principle,
and there's no JS involved.

Cheers, Andreas.

Re: New Scipy website

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 26 November 2012 14:20, Andreas Hilboll <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to put "empty" HTML files into github pages with
a header content of

url=http://www.yourdomain.com/index.html">

While being inefficient and ugly, I think it should work in principle,
and there's no JS involved.

Yep, that's the HTML side of the 'ugly HTML/JS redirects' ;-). Apparently, it can break the back button in some browsers, because it goes back to the page which triggers the redirect.

If we go down that route, I'd probably also include a plain link saying "this page can now be found at http://..."

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: New Scipy website

Paweł Kwaśniewski
Hi Thomas,

I'm currently using Fedora 17 (x86_64), and here the set of packages listed on the scipy installation instructions site can be installed using the following command:

> sudo yum install numpy scipy python-matplotlib ipython python-pandas sympy python-nose

The versions available in the repositories can be viewed by running:

> sudo yum info numpy scipy python-matplotlib ipython python-pandas sympy python-nose

The above command will not install anything, just print the info. I attach the output of this command run today. I hope this helps.

As for myself, I prefer to use the pip installer, since the repository versions seem to have quite a lag in Fedora. This could also be listed as a way to install different python packages, as it's quite simple:

> sudo pip install <package_name>

Cheers,

Paweł

2012/11/26 Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]>
[...]

scipy.info (10K) Download Attachment

Re: New Scipy website

Thomas Kluyver-2
Thanks Paweł, I'll add that to the page.

Of those, I think only IPython and matplotlib fall short of the specified minimum versions (0.13 and 1.1, respectively).

For IPython, I don't mind pointing users to pip, but I'd rather not go down that route for matplotlib, because the user would have to start thinking about build dependencies. I think matplotlib 1.0.1 should tide most users over fine until they get an upgraded version.

Best wishes,
Thomas

On 27 November 2012 12:10, Paweł Kwaśniewski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thomas,

I'm currently using Fedora 17 (x86_64), and here the set of packages listed on the scipy installation instructions site can be installed using the following command:

> sudo yum install numpy scipy python-matplotlib ipython python-pandas sympy python-nose

The versions available in the repositories can be viewed by running:

> sudo yum info numpy scipy python-matplotlib ipython python-pandas sympy python-nose

The above command will not install anything, just print the info. I attach the output of this command run today. I hope this helps.

As for myself, I prefer to use the pip installer, since the repository versions seem to have quite a lag in Fedora. This could also be listed as a way to install different python packages, as it's quite simple:

> sudo pip install <package_name>

Cheers,

Paweł

2012/11/26 Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]>
I'd like to discuss how we can move the new SciPy website (currently at http://scipy.github.com/ ) to be the homepage of scipy.org.

The new site is still something of a work in progress, but it's been there for years, and we can't continue to maintain two sites indefinitely. We've already been bitten by people referring to out of date FAQs, and I think the aesthetics of the new site are a marked improvement. So, first, what does the new site need before it can go live?

Two things I'm already aware of:

- Installation instructions for other package managers (so far we cover apt and macports). Please can users of other Linux distros send me the corresponding installation commands?
http://scipy.github.com/install.html

- The 'Getting started' page should be rewritten to describe the Scipy stack, and from a more newcomer-ish perspective.

Of course, there's a lot of useful information on the existing site - such as the Cookbook - that it's impractical to move to the new site. So, I suggest that we move the current MoinMoin-based site to wiki.scipy.org, and provide redirects so we don't break existing links. Unfortunately, Github pages can't do proper HTTP-based redirects. So we can either use hackish HTML/JS redirects, or host the new site on a server where we can set up proper redirects.

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: New Scipy website

Andreas-119
Hi Pawel,

> The versions available in the repositories can be viewed by running:
>
>> sudo yum info numpy scipy python-matplotlib ipython python-pandas
> sympy python-nose

I'm not a Fedora user at all, but are you sure that yum really needs to
be run as sudo in order to print information? If not, I would vote for
leaving out the `sudo` for the `yum info` call.

Cheers, Andreas.

Re: New Scipy website

Andreas-119
I accidentally replied to Pawel off-list. Here's our exchange:

Hi Andreas,

You're right, yum info does not require a sudo. To be honest, I was lazy
and didn't even check this - I just copy-pasted the install command and
changed the 'install' to 'info' in my previous e-mail. But that's a good
point - not reason for using sudo where it's not necessary.

Cheers,

Paweł

2012/11/27 Andreas Hilboll <[hidden email]>

    Hi Pawel,

    > The versions available in the repositories can be viewed by running:
    >
    >> sudo yum info numpy scipy python-matplotlib ipython python-pandas
    > sympy python-nose

    I'm not a Fedora user at all, but are you sure that yum really needs to
    be run as sudo in order to print information? If not, I would vote for
    leaving out the `sudo` for the `yum info` call.

    Cheers, Andreas.

Re: New Scipy website

Andreas Hilboll
I accidentally replied to Pawel off-list. Here's our exchange:

Hi Andreas,

You're right, yum info does not require a sudo. To be honest, I was lazy
and didn't even check this - I just copy-pasted the install command and
changed the 'install' to 'info' in my previous e-mail. But that's a good
point - not reason for using sudo where it's not necessary.

Cheers,

Paweł

2012/11/27 Andreas Hilboll <[hidden email]>

    Hi Pawel,

    > The versions available in the repositories can be viewed by running:
    >
    >> sudo yum info numpy scipy python-matplotlib ipython python-pandas
    > sympy python-nose

    I'm not a Fedora user at all, but are you sure that yum really needs to
    be run as sudo in order to print information? If not, I would vote for
    leaving out the `sudo` for the `yum info` call.

    Cheers, Andreas.

Fwd: New Scipy website

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 27 November 2012 20:11, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're right that we can't have broken links, so this should be done. Before deciding to move things around, it would be good to have a complete overview of all pages that are at scipy.org/xxx or xxx.scipy.org. Then for each one you can decide if it has to be included in the Sphinx based site, or put somewhere else with a redirect. Cleaning up some content at the same time would be even better. The overview of all pages will also allow you to write a test script to check no links break.

Moving things to Sphinx is a task that parallelizes nicely and can gradually be done after flipping the switch on the new site, but I think we do need the complete overview beforehand.

The complete (long) list of pages on the current site is at http://www.scipy.org/TitleIndex

I've pulled out the pages I think should have redirects. This list can be collaboratively edited if I've missed things:
http://piratepad.net/tnY97djjTC

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: New Scipy website

zhushazang (Bugzilla)
Hi, just to report how to install into Gentoo

emerge scipy

Best regards

Rodolfo

On 3 December 2012 00:18, Rodolfo Timoteo da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, just to report how to install into Gentoo

emerge scipy

Thanks, Rodolfo,

I'd like to provide instructions for how to install the entire Scipy Stack - the set of core packages we've chosen. That's numpy, scipy, matplotlib, ipython (including the notebook), sympy, pandas and nose. Can the package names be chained together in a single emerge command? And what versions will the user get by default?

You can see the Scipy Stack specification here: http://scipy.github.com/stackspec.html

Best wishes,
Thomas

Re: New Scipy website

Thomas Kluyver-2

On 26 November 2012 14:14, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >From the lack of offers for a new server to host on, I assume that we're
> going to keep using Github pages. So I'll put something together to do a
> "poor man's redirect" on the pages I listed:

Is there an advantage on hosting somewhere other than github pages?
I'm very happy to host on my space if that's an advantage.

Sourceforge is an obvious free alternative for html page hosting.

Best,

Matthew

Re: New Scipy website

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From the lack of offers for a new server to host on, I assume that we're
> going to keep using Github pages.

Enthought is happy to continue to donate a server for the SciPy
website (on EC2 infrastructure most likely).

Enthought

Re: New Scipy website

BrettRMurphy
Sorry it took us at Enthought a while to get back to this thread.

In addition to the server, we've got some people who can help out with setting things up and getting the new site up and running. To this end, Ognen D has set up a private mailing list for people who will be working on the effort. The list is private as they'll be discussing data security and privacy issues. The current list is Ognen D, Prabhu R, Thomas K, Pauli V, David C, Dhruv B and Parth B. If anyone is interested in joining, please send a note to ognen@enthought,com

We're looking forward to helping get SciPy.org updated.

Brett Murphy
Enthought

On 3 December 2012 21:44, BrettRMurphy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry it took us at Enthought a while to get back to this thread.

In addition to the server, we've got some people who can help out with setting things up and getting the new site up and running. To this end, Ognen D has set up a private mailing list for people who will be working on the effort. The list is private as they'll be discussing data security and privacy issues. The current list is Ognen D, Prabhu R, Thomas K, Pauli V, David C, Dhruv B and Parth B. If anyone is interested in joining, please send a note to ognen@enthought,com

We're looking forward to helping get SciPy.org updated.

Thanks Brett, Robert. Should I have received an invitation or notification about this mailing list?

Matthew, the disadvantage of Github pages is that you can't create proper HTTP redirects. Thanks for the offer of hosting, although we'll probably use Enthought's offer.

Best wishes,
Thomas

Re: New Scipy website

Travis Oliphant-6
NumFocus can also easily host and administer an EC2 server if that is needed.   If Enthought is willing to continue to host the SciPy server then that is great.

This is also something that NumFocus is able to do at any time.    If there are other projects that would like a server setup for them --- if github pages is not enough ---  just contact [hidden email].