OT: Data Analysis in Python

josef.pktd
just some thoughts, mostly personal

http://jpktd.blogspot.com/2012/03/data-in-python.html

Josef
(trying to blog to keep the mailing list on its trend to be less noisy)

Re: OT: Data Analysis in Python

Travis Oliphant-6
Thanks for posting this.    The trend towards blogging is not new.  It feels like a pretty good venue for this sort of thing ---  and it let's the mailing lists stay more technical.

"Big-Data" does have a lot of "Big-Hype" but it is my opinion that there are user-stories that the SciPy community would be wise to address.  The PyData workshop was basically an attempt to make sure that the noise around Strata at least has some "Python".   It was also a chance to be in the same room as many people active in the larger SciPy community as a pre-cursor to PyCon.

With R getting a lot of attention from Venture Capitalists, there are a lot of people who are "new" to so-called "Data-Science" who are being pushed to "R" instead of Python because of the larger market messaging.   Their use-cases are not informing this community as much as it could be.  Wes McKinney, fortunately, is doing a lot of work to change that.

-Travis

On Mar 3, 2012, at 10:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> just some thoughts, mostly personal
>
> http://jpktd.blogspot.com/2012/03/data-in-python.html
>
> Josef
> (trying to blog to keep the mailing list on its trend to be less noisy)

Re: OT: Data Analysis in Python

Pauli Virtanen-3

OT on OT: should your blog be added the planet http://planet.scipy.org/

--
Pauli Virtanen

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 03.03.2012 17:41, [hidden email] kirjoitti:
>> just some thoughts, mostly personal
>>
>> http://jpktd.blogspot.com/2012/03/data-in-python.html
>
> OT on OT: should your blog be added the planet http://planet.scipy.org/

Yes, thank you.
I wasn't sure I will keep it up, but now it's one command to go from
rst file to blogger.
The next posts should be more technical.

> Pauli Virtanen

Re: OT: Data Analysis in Python

Gael Varoquaux
On Sat, Mar 03, 2012 at 02:53:27PM -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Pauli Virtanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > 03.03.2012 17:41, [hidden email] kirjoitti:
> >> just some thoughts, mostly personal

> >> http://jpktd.blogspot.com/2012/03/data-in-python.html

> > OT on OT: should your blog be added the planet http://planet.scipy.org/

> Yes, thank you.

Indeed. I just added it. It will be in the update.

Gael

Re: OT: Data Analysis in Python

Timmie
Administrator
hello,

> http://jpktd.blogspot.com/2012/03/data-in-python.html
Is there any information if the slides an materials will be published
for those who couldn't attend?

I'd be interested also if the materials of the following meeting will be
published:
Data analysis in Python with pandas
https://us.pycon.org/2012/schedule/presentation/427/

It's just difficult to fly round the globe for just one day...

Regards,
Timmie

Re: OT: Data Analysis in Python

Wes McKinney
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Tim Michelsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
>
>> http://jpktd.blogspot.com/2012/03/data-in-python.html
> Is there any information if the slides an materials will be published
> for those who couldn't attend?
>

> I'd be interested also if the materials of the following meeting will be
> published:
> Data analysis in Python with pandas
> https://us.pycon.org/2012/schedule/presentation/427/
>
> It's just difficult to fly round the globe for just one day...
>
> Regards,
> Timmie

hi Timmie,

I will definitely post materials from my pandas tutorial (which are at
the moment a bit scattered, becoming less so over the next couple
days) and my talk at PyCon. I'm also due to cut some screencasts of
recent demos.

Some videos from the PyData workshop will also be published since we
had a recording crew.

cheers,
Wes

Re: OT: Data Analysis in Python

Timmie
Administrator
> I will definitely post materials from my pandas tutorial (which are at
> the moment a bit scattered, becoming less so over the next couple
> days) and my talk at PyCon. I'm also due to cut some screencasts of
> recent demos.
>
> Some videos from the PyData workshop will also be published since we
> had a recording crew.
Good news.
Your effort is really appreciated. Thanks.