Python and Eclipse

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Python and Eclipse

Nathaniel Polish
Anyone have any experience with Python on Eclipse?

<http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecant/>

Is this a hopelessly antiquated approach that only a c/c++/java programmer
could want?

Nat
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Yury V. Zaytsev
On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 16:34 -0500, Nathaniel Polish wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with Python on Eclipse?
>
> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecant/>
>
> Is this a hopelessly antiquated approach that only a c/c++/java programmer
> could want?

It is not exactly clear to me what is your actual question.

Q: Is it OK to use Eclipse + PyDev to develop in Python + SciPy?
A: Yes, many people do it. There are other IDE's out there as well.

Q: Is it OK to use Ant with Python?
A: Generally, Python has its own build / distributions tools.
A: If using Ant makes you more productive, it's up to you.

Q: ...
A: ...

HTH,
 
--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Nathaniel Polish
I suppose that I was asking a style and taste question.  There are lots of
environments -- some are in use for historical reasons -- some are more
modern.  I for example have been known to write c code in emacs, compile
with gcc and debug in gdb.  I would never recommend it to anyone under the
age of 40 since IDEs such as Eclipse are better in just about every way.

I was looking for recommendations for development environments that are
considered by the community to be "modern".

--On Sunday, January 09, 2011 11:14 PM +0100 "Yury V. Zaytsev"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 16:34 -0500, Nathaniel Polish wrote:
>> Anyone have any experience with Python on Eclipse?
>>
>> <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecant/>
>>
>> Is this a hopelessly antiquated approach that only a c/c++/java
>> programmer  could want?
>
> It is not exactly clear to me what is your actual question.
>
> Q: Is it OK to use Eclipse + PyDev to develop in Python + SciPy?
> A: Yes, many people do it. There are other IDE's out there as well.
>
> Q: Is it OK to use Ant with Python?
> A: Generally, Python has its own build / distributions tools.
> A: If using Ant makes you more productive, it's up to you.
>
> Q: ...
> A: ...
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Sincerely yours,
> Yury V. Zaytsev
>
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user




_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Gael Varoquaux
On Sun, Jan 09, 2011 at 05:30:00PM -0500, Nathaniel Polish wrote:
> I was looking for recommendations for development environments that are
> considered by the community to be "modern".

vim for code editing, ipython for exploring, debugging and profiling

That's what I use, and I am under 40 (actually still under 30 for a short
while)

:$
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Yury V. Zaytsev
In reply to this post by Nathaniel Polish
On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 17:30 -0500, Nathaniel Polish wrote:

> I would never recommend it to anyone under the age of 40 since IDEs
>  such as Eclipse are better in just about every way.

This is so arguable... Ok, let's not get started on that, at least it is
now clear what did you have in mind when you were asking your question.

The combinations that I've seen people using for SciPy / Numpy:

1) Aptana (= Eclipse + PyDev)
2) PyCharm (= IDEA + Python plugin, commercial)
3) Wingware IDE (commercial)
4) vim / emacs + Python shell
5) Eric, Spyder, other lightweight IDE's

All of them, can be, of course, complimented by ipython -pylab for quick
experimentation. Specific choice is purely a matter of taste / what
makes you personally most productive.

> I was looking for recommendations for development environments that are
> considered by the community to be "modern".

Well, I personally use PyCharm. I guess I am a very modern guy. Not sure
if it's a compliment though :-) It's paid-for, but if you have ever used
any of the other JetBrains IDE's you can understand why one would want
to pay for it.
 
--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

David Cournapeau
In reply to this post by Yury V. Zaytsev
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Nathaniel Polish <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I suppose that I was asking a style and taste question.  There are lots of
> environments -- some are in use for historical reasons -- some are more
> modern.  I for example have been known to write c code in emacs, compile
> with gcc and debug in gdb.  I would never recommend it to anyone under the
> age of 40 since IDEs such as Eclipse are better in just about every way.

Quite a few people think otherwise, and prefer emacs+toolchain over
IDE. Modern or not is irrelevant: what matters is what an IDE gives
you that you cannot get with a tool like emacs. In python's, case, my
experience is not much. Other people may prefer to get their VCS,
etc.... integrated in one tool.

Some languages like java have pretty good IDE, but what they offer is
not available for python (refactoring, for example - I have not seen
much of anything useful for advanced refactoring in python yet).

cheers,

David
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Charles R Harris
In reply to this post by Yury V. Zaytsev


On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 17:30 -0500, Nathaniel Polish wrote:

> I would never recommend it to anyone under the age of 40 since IDEs
>  such as Eclipse are better in just about every way.

This is so arguable... Ok, let's not get started on that, at least it is
now clear what did you have in mind when you were asking your question.


And I was so hoping for an emacs/vim flame war ;)
 
The combinations that I've seen people using for SciPy / Numpy:

1) Aptana (= Eclipse + PyDev)
2) PyCharm (= IDEA + Python plugin, commercial)
3) Wingware IDE (commercial)
4) vim / emacs + Python shell
5) Eric, Spyder, other lightweight IDE's


I've seen folks on windows running Eclipse using the Python(x,y) distribution. It looked pretty cool. If I have to use windows I'll probably give it a shot.
 
All of them, can be, of course, complimented by ipython -pylab for quick
experimentation. Specific choice is purely a matter of taste / what
makes you personally most productive.

> I was looking for recommendations for development environments that are
> considered by the community to be "modern".

Well, I personally use PyCharm. I guess I am a very modern guy. Not sure
if it's a compliment though :-) It's paid-for, but if you have ever used
any of the other JetBrains IDE's you can understand why one would want
to pay for it.


Off to google the name. I don't end up using these IDE's but its fun to see what's out there. And maybe I'm just an old dog.

Chuck


_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Nathaniel Polish
Oh please.  Emacs is for real men.  We hack code in lisp in an emacs shell.
I first used emacs in 1984.  I used it to read email and net news.  It was
not just a text editor, it was a lifestyle.  But that has NOTHING to do
with Python.  Though I bet you could build a great Python interpreter in
emacs.

More to the point, I find that some languages/systems are much better
learned and understood within a particular development environment.  I'll
probably stick with emacs plus the python shell for the moment.  However,
I'll probably tryout the eclipse offering.  I came across enthought.com
(they seem to host this list).  It looks interesting.  Is it worthwhile as
a distribution or just a way for commercial-types to get paid support?

If anyone wants to exchange emacs/vi flames with me that's fine, but its
probably off-list material.

Nat

--On Sunday, January 09, 2011 7:13 PM -0700 Charles R Harris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 17:30 -0500, Nathaniel Polish wrote:
>
>> I would never recommend it to anyone under the age of 40 since IDEs
>>  such as Eclipse are better in just about every way.
>
> This is so arguable... Ok, let's not get started on that, at least it is
> now clear what did you have in mind when you were asking your question.
>
>
>
>
> And I was so hoping for an emacs/vim flame war ;)
>  
>
> The combinations that I've seen people using for SciPy / Numpy:
>
> 1) Aptana (= Eclipse + PyDev)
> 2) PyCharm (= IDEA + Python plugin, commercial)
> 3) Wingware IDE (commercial)
> 4) vim / emacs + Python shell
> 5) Eric, Spyder, other lightweight IDE's
>
>
>
>
> I've seen folks on windows running Eclipse using the Python(x,y)
> distribution. It looked pretty cool. If I have to use windows I'll
> probably give it a shot.
>  
>
> All of them, can be, of course, complimented by ipython -pylab for quick
> experimentation. Specific choice is purely a matter of taste / what
> makes you personally most productive.
>
>
>> I was looking for recommendations for development environments that are
>> considered by the community to be "modern".
>
> Well, I personally use PyCharm. I guess I am a very modern guy. Not sure
> if it's a compliment though :-) It's paid-for, but if you have ever used
> any of the other JetBrains IDE's you can understand why one would want
> to pay for it.
>
>
>
>
> Off to google the name. I don't end up using these IDE's but its fun to
> see what's out there. And maybe I'm just an old dog.
>
> Chuck
>




_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Yury V. Zaytsev
In reply to this post by David Cournapeau
On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 10:15 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Some languages like java have pretty good IDE, but what they offer is
> not available for python (refactoring, for example - I have not seen
> much of anything useful for advanced refactoring in python yet).

That's one of the major reasons for me to stick to PyCharm at the
moment. They have quite a bit of most common *working* refactorings
available and also are very responsive towards bug reports and
enhancement requests in this area.

Otherwise, it's what you said: integrated experience.
 
--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

David Cournapeau
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 10:15 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>
>> Some languages like java have pretty good IDE, but what they offer is
>> not available for python (refactoring, for example - I have not seen
>> much of anything useful for advanced refactoring in python yet).
>
> That's one of the major reasons for me to stick to PyCharm at the
> moment. They have quite a bit of most common *working* refactorings
> available and also are very responsive towards bug reports and
> enhancement requests in this area.

Can you do things like method and object attributes rename reliably
across a project ? It has always seemed it would be near impossible to
do this in a language like python, but if it worked, it would be a
good reason to buy such a tool IMO.

cheers,

David
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Python and Eclipse

Yury V. Zaytsev
On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 19:39 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:

> Can you do things like method and object attributes rename reliably
> across a project ? It has always seemed it would be near impossible to
> do this in a language like python, but if it worked, it would be a
> good reason to buy such a tool IMO.

I have to agree that it's very complicated in general, but for me it
worked better than I would have done manually with search and replace. I
mostly use other refactorings i.e. introduce a variable, replace
variable with expression, rename private class attributes etc.

You shouldn't trust me on whether it is going to work in your case or
not, just try it out on your project whenever you've got some spare time
and figure out whether it works for you.
 
--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

sinnfluter
hello...

I need some support from you:

I want to install the scikits.image (http://scikits.appspot.com/image) module on my Windows 7 machine.
As scikits.image doesn't come with an windows installer I have to compile it myself (my first time).

What I got so far is:
1) I got the scikits.image folder downloaded (including the setup.py) to my documentsfolder
2) I got minGW including GCC installed (in C:/minGW) and set the environmental variable for the PATH in windows
3) I installed Cython (newest version)

And how should I proceed now?? How do I check if everything is set correctly and how should I now compile?

pls help me!
thank you a lot

/J
--
Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

Jean-Luc Menut
Hi

> And how should I proceed now?? How do I check if everything is set correctly and how should I now compile?

I never compiled anything on windows but according to the documentation :

 >The SciKit may be installed globally using
 >python setup.py install

 >or locally using
 >python setup.py install --prefix=${HOME}

 >If you prefer, you can use it without installing, by simply adding
 >this path to your PYTHONPATH variable and compiling the extensions::
 > python setup.py build_ext -i


So you have to try one of the command line above (you'l probably need
administrator's right for the first one), and look if it works or not.
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

sinnfluter
That's were I got stucked:

I just typed 'python setup.py install' into my windows cmd, which I was running as admin. It returns that 'python' isn't recognized...


-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:53:52 +0100
> Von: Jean-Luc Menut <[hidden email]>
> An: SciPy Users List <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [SciPy-User] installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

> Hi
>
> > And how should I proceed now?? How do I check if everything is set
> correctly and how should I now compile?
>
> I never compiled anything on windows but according to the documentation :
>
>  >The SciKit may be installed globally using
>  >python setup.py install
>
>  >or locally using
>  >python setup.py install --prefix=${HOME}
>
>  >If you prefer, you can use it without installing, by simply adding
>  >this path to your PYTHONPATH variable and compiling the extensions::
>  > python setup.py build_ext -i
>
>
> So you have to try one of the command line above (you'l probably need
> administrator's right for the first one), and look if it works or not.
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user

--
Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

Jean-Luc Menut
Le 10/01/2011 15:00, Johannes Radinger a écrit :
> That's were I got stucked:
>
> I just typed 'python setup.py install' into my windows cmd, which I was running as admin. It returns that 'python' isn't recognized...

that means that python is not in your system path : go to
Computer->system properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced ->
Environment variables. Select Path and click on edit. You need to add
the path to your python executable (C:\Python26 in my case). Don't
forget to add ";" as a separator.



_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

sinnfluter
Oh yes...there was a spelling mistake in the PATH settings for pyhton,
that is working know but I get now the error message:

file "setup.py", line 23 in <module>
import setuptools
Import Error: No module named setuptools

does that mean I have first to install setuptools?
or is something wrong with the module I want to compile?

thanks
/j

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:27:56 +0100
> Von: Jean-Luc Menut <[hidden email]>
> An: SciPy Users List <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [SciPy-User] installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

> Le 10/01/2011 15:00, Johannes Radinger a écrit :
> > That's were I got stucked:
> >
> > I just typed 'python setup.py install' into my windows cmd, which I was
> running as admin. It returns that 'python' isn't recognized...
>
> that means that python is not in your system path : go to
> Computer->system properties -> advanced system settings -> advanced ->
> Environment variables. Select Path and click on edit. You need to add
> the path to your python executable (C:\Python26 in my case). Don't
> forget to add ";" as a separator.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user

--
Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

Jean-Luc Menut
> does that mean I have first to install setuptools?

Yes, but check first if it's not installed in the python's Scripts
subdirectory and if this directory is in the path
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

Gael Varoquaux
In reply to this post by sinnfluter
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 05:11:00PM +0100, Johannes Radinger wrote:
> Oh yes...there was a spelling mistake in the PATH settings for pyhton,
> that is working know but I get now the error message:

> file "setup.py", line 23 in <module>
> import setuptools
> Import Error: No module named setuptools

> does that mean I have first to install setuptools?

It does indeed.

HTH,

Gael
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

sinnfluter
Thank you...
That was pretty easy to install... and seems to work now...
but it seems that always when i think i solved a problem a new one
appears...

no it starts compiling and than it stops with the argument that
cython isn't recognized...I copied the path of cython to PATH but the problem still exists...how can I test if cython is working and if PATH is set correctly? or what do I have to set in the environmental setting?

/j
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:20:04 +0100
> Von: Gael Varoquaux <[hidden email]>
> An: SciPy Users List <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [SciPy-User] installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 05:11:00PM +0100, Johannes Radinger wrote:
> > Oh yes...there was a spelling mistake in the PATH settings for pyhton,
> > that is working know but I get now the error message:
>
> > file "setup.py", line 23 in <module>
> > import setuptools
> > Import Error: No module named setuptools
>
> > does that mean I have first to install setuptools?
>
> It does indeed.
>
> HTH,
>
> Gael
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user

--
NEU: FreePhone - kostenlos mobil telefonieren und surfen!
Jetzt informieren: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freephone
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: installing/compiling scipy module on windows, mingw

Gael Varoquaux
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 06:12:34PM +0100, Johannes Radinger wrote:
> no it starts compiling and than it stops with the argument that
> cython isn't recognized...

Darn, cython shouldn't be needed to build the scikit. Looks like we let
something slip through during the last release. Could you please copy the
exact error message here, and we'll do a bug fix release ASAP.

Gaël
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
12