Python(x,y) scientific distribution

Stephen McInerney
Dear PR,

Sounds great.

As to your platform support: is this primarily Linux and MacOS (no Windows?)

This is largely similar to what Enthought do, but primarily for Windows.
Have you talked to them?
http://www.enthought.com/products/epd.php
Also your license is EPL and I think theirs is "EPD".
I think you are duplicating their effort.

In any case, can you continue to post major release announces on scipy-user list?

Best regards,
Stephen

> From: "Python(x,y)" <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Hi all,
>
> One more e-mail on Python(x,y), the Python/Eclipse distribution for
> Scientists:
> if you are interested in this project, you can subscribe to the
> Python(x,y) users mailing list (http://www.pythonxy.com).
>
> By the way, thank you all for your comments and suggestions regarding
> Python(x,y).
> Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions:
> - linux version: it is really too soon to tell when it will be ready ;
> - MacOS version: at the moment, no action is taken to implement it
> (except if we find someone who would want to contribute to Python(x,y)
> and do it...) ;
> - mailing list? done!
> - consider preparing a new release for Numpy 1.0.5: it won't be a
> problem, because updating Python(x,y) is a matter of a few minutes (it
> will certainly take us more time to upload it than to update it) ;
> - Mayavi 2: it could be included in next version of Python(x,y).
>
> Best regards,
> PR
>
> --
> P. Raybaut
> Python(x,y)
> http://www.pythonxy.com

Re: Python(x,y) scientific distribution

Pierre Raybaut
Dear Stephen,

Sorry if my last e-mail was confusing, but the only platforms supported
by Python(x,y) at the moment are Windows XP/2003/Vista (Linux version is
being developed, and MacOS is not implemented).
I am familiar with Enthought distribution which includes a lot of
interesting packages.
Python(x,y) is quite a different approach (we are not pretending to have
a better approach, just different) :
    - it is a Python / Eclipse / Qt distribution : its long-term goal is
to provide a free alternative to commercial scientific "languages" (like
MATLAB or IDL) with a complete development environment ;
    - the number of packages distributed has been intentionally kept as
low as possible ;
    - and last but not least: Python(x,y) can be freely download and use
by anyone, without any restriction.

And, yes, of course, I can continue to post major release announces on
scipy-user list.

Thanks for your support.
Best regards,
PR