Re: Discrete Fourier transforms (scipy.fftpack)- radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS)

Re: Discrete Fourier transforms (scipy.fftpack)- radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS)

Eyal Saiet
Checking if this email made it through the scipy community!?

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 4:49 PM Eyal Saiet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
The scipy.fftpack is quite a comprehensive toolset. Nonetheless, I am scratching my head why I cannot find a radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS) tool in scipy.fftpack which seems a natural complementary tool for an FFT toolset.  Do people just write the function for themselves? Or is it somewhere else already?

* The radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS) is s the direction-independent mean spectrum, i.e. the average of all possible directional power spectra. The radially averaged power spectrum provides a convenient means to view and compare information contained in 2-D spectra in 1-D. This function computes and plots the RAPS of an input matrix (does not consider corner values outside averaging radius). The image can be rectangular but must be 2-D (e.g., multi-color channel data is not supported). The spatial resolution of the data is also specified (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/23636-radially-averaged-power-spectrum-of-2d-real-valued-matrix )

*This tool was in Astropy 2.7 but I cannot find it Astropy 3.1....

Thanks

Re: Discrete Fourier transforms (scipy.fftpack)- radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS)

Jerome Kieffer
On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 00:31:14 -0800
Eyal Saiet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Checking if this email made it through the scipy community!?

I agree it would be interesting, for me at least. But I have my own implementation

Re: Discrete Fourier transforms (scipy.fftpack)- radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS)

ralfgommers

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 1:32 AM Eyal Saiet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Checking if this email made it through the scipy community!?

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 4:49 PM Eyal Saiet <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
The scipy.fftpack is quite a comprehensive toolset. Nonetheless, I am scratching my head why I cannot find a radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS) tool in scipy.fftpack which seems a natural complementary tool for an FFT toolset.  Do people just write the function for themselves? Or is it somewhere else already?

I'm not aware on any implementation. It would be a bit too specialized to put in scipy probably.

* The radially averaged power spectrum(RAPS) is s the direction-independent mean spectrum, i.e. the average of all possible directional power spectra. The radially averaged power spectrum provides a convenient means to view and compare information contained in 2-D spectra in 1-D. This function computes and plots the RAPS of an input matrix (does not consider corner values outside averaging radius). The image can be rectangular but must be 2-D (e.g., multi-color channel data is not supported). The spatial resolution of the data is also specified (https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/23636-radially-averaged-power-spectrum-of-2d-real-valued-matrix )

*This tool was in Astropy 2.7 but I cannot find it Astropy 3.1....

I would suggest to ask the AstroPy team why it was removed, or just get the implementation from their older version and use that.

Thanks