Re: [Numpy-discussion] Google Summer of Code and NumFOCUS

Re: [Numpy-discussion] Google Summer of Code and NumFOCUS

ralfgommers
Hi Raniere,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Raniere Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

NumFOCUS has promotes and supports the ongoing research and development of
open-source computing tools including NumPy.

This year NumFOCUS want to try be a Google Summer of Code
"umbrella" mentoring organization,

    Umbrella organizations are mentoring organizations accepted into the Google
    Summer of Code program that have other open source organizations working
    "under" them. Sometime organizations that work very closely or have very
    similar goals or communities may get put together under an "umbrella."
    Google stills expects all organizations under the umbrella, whether accepted
    into the program under their title or not, to adhere to all the rules and
    regulations of the program.

    From https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2015/help_page#umbrella_organization

To help promote and support NumPy.

We encourage NumPy to apply to Google Summer of Code under your own title
and will be very happy if you can also do with us.
If you are interested, please check https://github.com/swcarpentry/gsoc2015
and https://github.com/swcarpentry/gsoc2015/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md.

If you have any question, please email me directly.

Thanks for the enthusiasm in getting Numfocus set up as a new mentoring org - I'm sure that this will be useful for the long term. I'm not sure if you're aware that Numpy, Scipy and many other scientific Python projects have been participating under the umbrella of the PSF for a number of years already (see https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2014). For this year we'd like to keep it that way. I'll email you privately with more details and to see if I can help you in any way.

Re: [Numpy-discussion] Google Summer of Code and NumFOCUS

Raniere Silva
Hi Ralf,

> Thanks for the enthusiasm in getting Numfocus set up as a new mentoring org
> - I'm sure that this will be useful for the long term.

Thanks for your email.

> I'm not sure if
> you're aware that Numpy, Scipy and many other scientific Python projects
> have been participating under the umbrella of the PSF for a number of years
> already (see https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2014).

Yes, I'm aware of it.
I only care that every project have the opportunity to participate at GSoC
and participants have fun during it. =)

> For this year we'd like to keep it that way.

No problem for me.
I hope that we can work together on this next year.

Raniere