Re: Understanding parameters of scipy.special Mathieu_cem function etc.

Re: Understanding parameters of scipy.special Mathieu_cem function etc.

Mark B.

From: Austin Tobin <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [SciPy-User] Understanding parameters of scipy.special
        Mathieu_cem function etc.

I am trying to relate the Mathieu equation found in Wikipedia Mathieu
Equation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathieu_function/> to the one
implemented in scipy.special. In Wikipedia there are 3 inputs, a,q and the
parameter along which the integration proceeds.

mathieu_cem takes three inputs, an order (integer), a characteristic
parameter and the the parameter along which the integration proceeds in
degrees. I am trying to relate a and q to the order and characteristic
parameter.

If it helps I am trying to simulate a quadrupole mass spectrometer with a
and q being trapping parameters.
Regards,
Austin

The wikipedia link is broken. Could you fix that and maybe post some numbers that you are expecting? I am pretty sure the q is the characteristic number, the degrees are the local elliptic coordinates and the order is, well, the order of the function.