[SciPy-User] ANN: IEP 3.4 - the Interactive Editor for Python (now with IPython)

[SciPy-User] ANN: IEP 3.4 - the Interactive Editor for Python (now with IPython)

Almar Klein-2
Dear all,

We are pleased to announce that IEP version 3.4 is now available for download.

IEP is a cross-platform Python IDE focused on interactivity and introspection, which makes it very suitable for scientific computing. Its practical design is aimed at simplicity and efficiency.

This version is marked by many improvements to the shell. Most notably, we now have IPython integration! Further, there are more ways to customize the shell (e.g. define command line and environment args), there is support for coloured text, you can click on filenames in tracebacks to open them, and it just behaves better. Also, many improvements have been made to the debug system.

To install:
  • Binaries are available for Windows, OSX and Linux.
  • conda install -c pyzo iep  (in a p33 env)
  • pip install iep  (IEP depends on Python3 and PySide/PyQt4.)
Happy coding,
  Almar

Re: ANN: IEP 3.4 - the Interactive Editor for Python (now with IPython)

Neal Becker
Almar Klein wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We are pleased to announce that IEP version 3.4 is now available for
> download.
>
> IEP is a cross-platform Python IDE focused on interactivity and
> introspection, which makes it very suitable for scientific computing. Its
> practical design is aimed at simplicity and efficiency.
>
> This version is marked by many improvements to the shell. Most notably, we
> now have *IPython integration*! Further, there are more ways to customize
> the shell (e.g. define command line and environment args), there is support
> for coloured text, you can click on filenames in tracebacks to open them,
> and it just behaves better. Also, many improvements have been made to the
> debug system.
>
> Website: http://iep-project.org
> Release notes: https://bitbucket.org/iep-project/iep/wiki/Release_notes
>
> To install:
>
>    - Binaries are available for Windows, OSX and Linux.
>    - conda install -c pyzo iep  (in a p33 env)
>    - pip install iep  (IEP depends on Python3 and PySide/PyQt4.)
>
> Happy coding,
>   Almar

Are you sure pip install iep works?

It did not seem to install any iep into bin directory (only installed packages
into site-packages).  Tried on fedora 20 linux.

Re: ANN: IEP 3.4 - the Interactive Editor for Python (now with IPython)

Almar Klein-2

Are you sure pip install iep works?

It did not seem to install any iep into bin directory (only installed packages
into site-packages).  Tried on fedora 20 linux.

Ah, I think you are right. pip will only install iep as a package (not a startup script), so you'd need to run it as "python -m iep". I will make an issue for fixing  this. Thanks!

- Almar