[SciPy-User] ANN: Pandas 0.14.0 released

[SciPy-User] ANN: Pandas 0.14.0 released

Jeff Reback-2
Hello,

We are proud to announce v0.14.0 of pandas, a major release from 0.13.1.

This release includes a small number of API changes, several new features,
enhancements, and performance improvements along with a large number of bug fixes.

This was 4 months of work with 1014 commits by 121 authors encompassing 757 issues.

We recommend that all users upgrade to this version.

Highlights:
  •   Officially support Python 3.4
  •   SQL interfaces updated to use sqlalchemy
  •   Display interface changes
  •   MultiIndexing Using Slicers
  •   Ability to join a singly-indexed DataFrame with a multi-indexed DataFrame
  •   More consistency in groupby results and more flexible groupby specifications
  •   Holiday calendars are now supported in CustomBusinessDay
  •   Several improvements in plotting functions, including: hexbin, area and pie plots
  •   Performance doc section on I/O operations
See a full description of Whatsnew for v0.14.0 here:

What is it:

pandas is a Python package providing fast, flexible, and expressive data
structures designed to make working with “relational” or “labeled” data both
easy and intuitive. It aims to be the fundamental high-level building block for
doing practical, real world data analysis in Python. Additionally, it has the
broader goal of becoming the most powerful and flexible open source data
analysis / manipulation tool available in any language.

Documentation:
http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/

Source tarballs, windows binaries are available on PyPI:

windows binaries are courtesy of  Christoph Gohlke and are built on Numpy 1.8
macosx wheels will be available soon, courtesy of Matthew Brett

Please report any issues here:
https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues

Thanks

The Pandas Development Team

Contributors to the 0.14.0 release

  • Acanthostega
  • Adam Marcus
  • agijsberts
  • akittredge
  • Alex Gaudio
  • Alex Rothberg
  • AllenDowney
  • Andrew Rosenfeld
  • Andy Hayden
  • ankostis
  • anomrake
  • Antoine Mazières
  • anton-d
  • bashtage
  • Benedikt Sauer
  • benjamin
  • Brad Buran
  • bwignall
  • cgohlke
  • chebee7i
  • Christopher Whelan
  • Clark Fitzgerald
  • clham
  • Dale Jung
  • Dan Allan
  • Dan Birken
  • danielballan
  • Daniel Waeber
  • David Jung
  • David Stephens
  • Douglas McNeil
  • DSM
  • Garrett Drapala
  • Gouthaman Balaraman
  • Guillaume Poulin
  • hshimizu77
  • hugo
  • immerrr
  • ischwabacher
  • Jacob Howard
  • Jacob Schaer
  • jaimefrio
  • Jason Sexauer
  • Jeff Reback
  • Jeffrey Starr
  • Jeff Tratner
  • John David Reaver
  • John McNamara
  • John W. O'Brien
  • Jonathan Chambers
  • Joris Van den Bossche
  • jreback
  • jsexauer
  • Julia Evans
  • Júlio
  • Katie Atkinson
  • kdiether
  • Kelsey Jordahl
  • Kevin Sheppard
  • K.-Michael Aye
  • Matthias Kuhn
  • Matt Wittmann
  • Max Grender-Jones
  • Michael E. Gruen
  • michaelws
  • mikebailey
  • Mike Kelly
  • Nipun Batra
  • Noah Spies
  • ojdo
  • onesandzeroes
  • Patrick O'Keeffe
  • phaebz
  • Phillip Cloud
  • Pietro Battiston
  • PKEuS
  • Randy Carnevale
  • ribonoous
  • Robert Gibboni
  • rockg
  • sinhrks
  • Skipper Seabold
  • SplashDance
  • Stephan Hoyer
  • Tim Cera
  • Tobias Brandt
  • Todd Jennings
  • TomAugspurger
  • Tom Augspurger
  • unutbu
  • westurner
  • Yaroslav Halchenko
  • y-p
  • zach powers

Re: [Numpy-discussion] ANN: Pandas 0.14.0 released

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Neal Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> pip install --user --up pandas
> Downloading/unpacking pandas from
> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pandas/pandas-0.14.0.tar.gz#md5=b775987c0ceebcc8d5ace4a1241c967a
>
> Downloading/unpacking numpy>=1.6.1 from
> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/n/numpy/numpy-1.8.1.tar.gz#md5=be95babe263bfa3428363d6db5b64678
> (from pandas)
>   Downloading numpy-1.8.1.tar.gz (3.8MB): 3.8MB downloaded
>   Running setup.py egg_info for package numpy
>     Running from numpy source directory.
>
>     warning: no files found matching 'tools/py3tool.py'
>     warning: no files found matching '*' under directory 'doc/f2py'
>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found anywhere in
> distribution
>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyo' found anywhere in
> distribution
>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyd' found anywhere in
> distribution
> Downloading/unpacking six from
> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/six/six-1.6.1.tar.gz#md5=07d606ac08595d795bf926cc9985674f
> (from python-dateutil->pandas)
>   Downloading six-1.6.1.tar.gz
>   Running setup.py egg_info for package six
>
>     no previously-included directories found matching 'documentation/_build'
> Installing collected packages: pandas, pytz, numpy, six
>
> What?  I already have numpy-1.8.0 installed (also have six, pytz).

Yes, this is a very unfortunate feature of pip --upgrade - it does a
recursive upgrade of all dependent packages:

http://pip.readthedocs.org/en/latest/reference/pip_install.html#cmdoption-U
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/304

Maybe you could just do:

pip install --ignore-install pandas

instead?

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: [pydata] Re: [Numpy-discussion] ANN: Pandas 0.14.0 released

Nathaniel Smith

I sometimes do

  pip install pandas==0.14.0

This requires you know the version number, but is still much easier than the arcane mutterings that are otherwise needed if you want to be fully correct (pull in new dependencies, etc.).

-n

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Neal Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> pip install --user --up pandas
>> Downloading/unpacking pandas from
>> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/pandas/pandas-0.14.0.tar.gz#md5=b775987c0ceebcc8d5ace4a1241c967a
>>
>> Downloading/unpacking numpy>=1.6.1 from
>> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/n/numpy/numpy-1.8.1.tar.gz#md5=be95babe263bfa3428363d6db5b64678
>> (from pandas)
>>   Downloading numpy-1.8.1.tar.gz (3.8MB): 3.8MB downloaded
>>   Running setup.py egg_info for package numpy
>>     Running from numpy source directory.
>>
>>     warning: no files found matching 'tools/py3tool.py'
>>     warning: no files found matching '*' under directory 'doc/f2py'
>>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyc' found anywhere in
>> distribution
>>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyo' found anywhere in
>> distribution
>>     warning: no previously-included files matching '*.pyd' found anywhere in
>> distribution
>> Downloading/unpacking six from
>> https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/six/six-1.6.1.tar.gz#md5=07d606ac08595d795bf926cc9985674f
>> (from python-dateutil->pandas)
>>   Downloading six-1.6.1.tar.gz
>>   Running setup.py egg_info for package six
>>
>>     no previously-included directories found matching 'documentation/_build'
>> Installing collected packages: pandas, pytz, numpy, six
>>
>> What?  I already have numpy-1.8.0 installed (also have six, pytz).
>
> Yes, this is a very unfortunate feature of pip --upgrade - it does a
> recursive upgrade of all dependent packages:
>
> http://pip.readthedocs.org/en/latest/reference/pip_install.html#cmdoption-U
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/304
>
> Maybe you could just do:
>
> pip install --ignore-install pandas
>
> instead?

Seconding Nathaniel's suggestion instead:

pip install --ignore-installed pandas

(note fixed typo s/ignore-install/ignore-installed/) also tries to
upgrade numpy.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: [pydata] Re: [Numpy-discussion] ANN: Pandas 0.14.0 released

Nathaniel Smith

If you really want to use complicated command line switches I think the correct ones are:

pip install -U --no-deps pandas
pip install pandas

(Yes, you have to run both commands in order to handle all cases correctly.)

-n

Hi,