Quantcast

[SciPy-User] ANN: SfePy 2016.2

Robert Cimrman
I am pleased to announce release 2016.2 of SfePy.

Description

Highlights of this release
--------------------------

- partial shell10x element implementation
- parallel computation of homogenized coefficients
- clean up of elastic terms
- read support for msh file mesh format of gmsh

For full release notes see http://docs.sfepy.org/doc/release_notes.html#id1
(rather long and technical).

Best regards,
Robert Cimrman on behalf of the SfePy development team

---

Contributors to this release in alphabetical order:

Robert Cimrman
Vladimir Lukes

Re: ANN: SfePy 2016.2

Robert Cimrman
Hi Kai,

Python3 support is not ready yet, but we would like to have it in this year.

r.

On 05/15/2016 07:21 PM, Kai Lähteenmäki wrote:

> Hi, can I import it to my Anaconda3 system soon?
> Kai

>> I am pleased to announce release 2016.2 of SfePy.
>>
>> Description
>> -----------
>>
>> SfePy (simple finite elements in Python) is a software for solving systems
>> of
>> coupled partial differential equations by the finite element method or by
>> the
>> isogeometric analysis (preliminary support). It is distributed under the
>> new
>> BSD license.
>>
>> Home page: http://sfepy.org
>> Git (source) repository, issue tracker, wiki: http://github.com/sfepy
>>
>> Highlights of this release
>> --------------------------
>>
>> - partial shell10x element implementation
>> - parallel computation of homogenized coefficients
>> - clean up of elastic terms
>> - read support for msh file mesh format of gmsh
>>
>> For full release notes see
>> http://docs.sfepy.org/doc/release_notes.html#id1
>> (rather long and technical).
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Robert Cimrman on behalf of the SfePy development team
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Contributors to this release in alphabetical order:
>>
>> Robert Cimrman
>> Vladimir Lukes

Re: ANN: SfePy 2016.2

Thomas Kluyver-2
Hi Robert,

On 16 May 2016 at 09:09, Robert Cimrman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Python3 support is not ready yet, but we would like to have it in this year.

What's the status of the porting effort? Is anyone working on it? Are there roadblocks like unported dependencies? I have a fair bit of experience adding Python 3 support to projects, and I'm willing to help any remaining projects make the jump, either by answering questions or by working on the code.

Thomas

Re: ANN: SfePy 2016.2

Kai Lähteenmäki
Hi,
I'm a teacher and  fairly novice in Python.
I liked to have fast Discrete event simulator in Python.
I liked Hamburg Uni's DesmoJ in Java.
Besides that I also like FEM, difference tools in PDE's
Can you suggest me good ones besides SfePy?
reg. Kai

Hi Robert,

On 16 May 2016 at 09:09, Robert Cimrman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Python3 support is not ready yet, but we would like to have it in this year.

What's the status of the porting effort? Is anyone working on it? Are there roadblocks like unported dependencies? I have a fair bit of experience adding Python 3 support to projects, and I'm willing to help any remaining projects make the jump, either by answering questions or by working on the code.

Thomas

Re: ANN: SfePy 2016.2

Robert Cimrman
Hi Thomas,

On 05/16/2016 11:36 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On 16 May 2016 at 09:09, Robert Cimrman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Python3 support is not ready yet, but we would like to have it in this
>> year.
>

> What's the status of the porting effort? Is anyone working on it? Are there
> roadblocks like unported dependencies? I have a fair bit of experience
> adding Python 3 support to projects, and I'm willing to help any remaining
> projects make the jump, either by answering questions or by working on the
> code.

Concerning the status, one of my friends has been looking at that as his quest
for learning Python, so we do not have a porting expert in our team - any help
would be greatly appreciated! There were some efforts already several years ago
[1], but were left unfinished.

There are IMHO no roadblocks, as the required dependencies support Python 3
already. If you are willing to help, we can discuss specifics of the porting
under [1] (not sure how much of the info there still holds, though), the sfepy
mailing list, or ping me directly.

Thank you for the offer!
r.

[1] https://github.com/sfepy/sfepy/issues/164