[SciPy-User] ANN: Weave 0.15.0 release

ralfgommers
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of Weave 0.15.0. Weave provides
tools for including C/C++ code within Python code. Inlining C/C++ code
within Python generally results in speedups of 1.5x to 30x over algorithms
written in pure Python.

Weave is the stand-alone version of the deprecated Scipy submodule scipy.weave.
It is Python 2.x only, and is provided for users that need new versions of
Scipy (from which the weave submodule will be removed in the future) but
have existing code that still depends on scipy.weave.
For new code, users are recommended to use Cython.

Weave 0.15.0 is the first release of Weave as a standalone package.  It is
numbered 0.15.0, because it was split from Scipy after the 0.14.0 release of
that package.  No new functionality is included in this release compared to
Scipy 0.14.0, only changes needed to make Weave a standalone package.

This release requires Python 2.6 or 2.7. The source code can be found on
https://github.com/scipy/weave and the release itself on PyPi:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/weave

Note that the Scipy developers are not planning to make any further improvements
to Weave. They may however merge pull requests and create maintenance
releases for urgent issues. If someone is interested in maintaining Weave,
that would be very welcome. Questions and discussions relating to Weave should
be directed to the scipy-dev mailing list (see http://scipy.org/scipylib/mailing-lists.html).

Re: ANN: Weave 0.15.0 release

srean
Very happy to see this, I thought weave had been relegated to abandon-ware. Although Weave did not get a lot of love I have found it very useful.

Although Cython is the recommended way these days, I have found that the way to speed array operations in Cython is to write low level indexing code in the tight inner loop. For me the reason to use a higher level language is to avoid doing exactly that. Weave fit that hole perfectly. Wished it integrated new Blitz++ release.

So, thanks.

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert Kern-2
On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 10:15 AM, srean <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very happy to see this, I thought weave had been relegated to abandon-ware.
> Although Weave did not get a lot of love I have found it very useful.

Actually, it's even more abandoned than before. It's been carved off
into its own project such that its abandonment doesn't hold up the
rest of scipy. See Ralf's last paragraph:

> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> Note that the Scipy developers are not planning to make any further
>> improvements
>> to Weave. They may however merge pull requests and create maintenance
>> releases for urgent issues. If someone is interested in maintaining Weave,
>> that would be very welcome. Questions and discussions relating to Weave
>> should
>> be directed to the scipy-dev mailing list (see
>> http://scipy.org/scipylib/mailing-lists.html).

If you wish to take up maintenance of weave to save it from its
abandonment, please let us know, and we will give you admin rights to
the repo. Thanks!