[SciPy-User] ANN: WinPython 2.7.4.1 and 3.3.1.1, 32 and 64bit

[SciPy-User] ANN: WinPython 2.7.4.1 and 3.3.1.1, 32 and 64bit

Pierre Raybaut-2
Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that four new versions of WinPython have been released yesterday with Python 2.7.4 and 3.3.1, 32 and 64 bits. Many packages have been added or upgraded (see the automatically-generated changelogs):
  * WinPython 2.7.4.1 32bit, 64bit -- including new Spyder v2.2: https://code.google.com/p/winpython/wiki/ChangeLog_27
  * WinPython 3.3.1.1 32bit, 64bit: https://code.google.com/p/winpython/wiki/ChangeLog_33

Special thanks to Christoph Gohlke for building most of the binary packages bundled in WinPython.

WinPython is a free open-source portable distribution of Python for Windows, designed for scientists.

It is a full-featured (see http://code.google.com/p/winpython/wiki/PackageIndex) Python-based scientific environment:
  * Designed for scientists (thanks to the integrated libraries NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, guiqwt, etc.:
    * Regular *scientific users*: interactive data processing and visualization using Python with Spyder
    * *Advanced scientific users and software developers*: Python applications development with Spyder, version control with Mercurial and other development tools (like gettext)
  * *Portable*: preconfigured, it should run out of the box on any machine under Windows (without any installation requirements) and the folder containing WinPython can be moved to any location (local, network or removable drive)
  * *Flexible*: one can install (or should I write "use" as it's portable) as many WinPython versions as necessary (like isolated and self-consistent environments), even if those versions are running different versions of Python (2.7, 3.3) or different architectures (32bit or 64bit) on the same machine
  * *Customizable*: using the integrated package manager (wppm, as WinPython Package Manager), it's possible to install, uninstall or upgrade Python packages (see http://code.google.com/p/winpython/wiki/WPPM for more details on supported package formats).

*WinPython is not an attempt to replace Python(x,y)*, this is just something different (see http://code.google.com/p/winpython/wiki/Roadmap): more flexible, easier to maintain, movable and less invasive for the OS, but certainly less user-friendly, with less packages/contents and without any integration to Windows explorer [*].

[*] Actually there is an optional integration into Windows explorer, providing the same features as the official Python installer regarding file associations and context menu entry (this option may be activated through the WinPython Control Panel), and adding shortcuts to Windows Start menu.

Enjoy!

Re: ANN: WinPython 2.7.4.1 and 3.3.1.1, 32 and 64bit

Troels Emtekær Linnet
What would be the free similar python distribution on linux?

I am only aware of the (acedemic-free) Enthought distribution.

Best
Troels Emtekær Linnet

2013/5/8 Pierre Raybaut <[hidden email]>
[...]

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 9 May 2013 14:19, Troels Emtekær Linnet <[hidden email]> wrote:
What would be the free similar python distribution on linux?

There's arguably less need for it on Linux, because it's convenient to manage it through the system package manager. But if you do want a Python distribution:

- Anaconda is pretty comprehensive for free (Continuum sell some extras)
- EPD has a free option, 'EPD Free', though it's smaller and lighter
- Pyzo is a new distribution based on Python 3

The new Scipy website has a list of Scipy distributions: http://new.scipy.org/install.html

Best wishes,
Thomas

Re: ANN: WinPython 2.7.4.1 and 3.3.1.1, 32 and 64bit

josef.pktd
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 May 2013 14:19, Troels Emtekær Linnet <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What would be the free similar python distribution on linux?
>

> There's arguably less need for it on Linux, because it's convenient to
> manage it through the system package manager. But if you do want a Python
> distribution:
>
> - Anaconda is pretty comprehensive for free (Continuum sell some extras)
> - EPD has a free option, 'EPD Free', though it's smaller and lighter
> - Pyzo is a new distribution based on Python 3

- https://code.google.com/p/pythonxy-linux/
with even some daily builds
https://launchpad.net/~pythonxy/+archive/pythonxy-devel

It's only the "stick" that is only for Windows.

Josef