[SciPy-User] ANN: pandas v0.17.0rc2 - RELEASE CANDIDATE 2

[SciPy-User] ANN: pandas v0.17.0rc2 - RELEASE CANDIDATE 2

Jeff Reback-2
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the second release candidate of Pandas 0.17.0.
Please try this RC and report any issues here: Pandas Issues
We will be releasing officially on October 9.

**RELEASE CANDIDATE 2**

From RC 1 we have:

  • compat for Python 3.5
  • compat for matplotlib 1.5.0
  • .convert_objects is now restored to the original, and is deprecated

This is a major release from 0.16.2 and includes a small number of API changes, several new features, enhancements, and performance improvements along with a large number of bug fixes. We recommend that all users upgrade to this version.

Highlights include:

  • Release the Global Interpreter Lock (GIL) on some cython operations, see here
  • Plotting methods are now available as attributes of the .plot accessor, see here
  • The sorting API has been revamped to remove some long-time inconsistencies, see here
  • Support for a datetime64[ns] with timezones as a first-class dtype, see here
  • The default for to_datetime will now be to raise when presented with unparseable formats, previously this would return the original input, see here
  • The default for dropna in HDFStore has changed to False, to store by default all rows even if they are all NaN, see here
  • Support for Series.dt.strftime to generate formatted strings for datetime-likes, see here
  • Development installed versions of pandas will now have PEP440 compliant version strings GH9518
  • Development support for benchmarking with the Air Speed Velocity library GH8316
  • Support for reading SAS xport files, see here
  • Removal of the automatic TimeSeries broadcasting, deprecated since 0.8.0, see here
  • Display format with plain text can optionally align with Unicode East Asian Width, see here
  • Compatibility with Python 3.5 GH11097
  • Compatibility with matplotlib 1.5.0 GH11111

See the Whatsnew for much more information.

Best way to get this is to install via conda from our development channel. Builds for osx-64,linux-64,win-64 for Python 2.7, Python 3.4, and Python 3.5 (for osx/linux) are all available.

conda install pandas -c pandas

Thanks to all who made this release happen. It is a very large release!

Jeff

Re: [pydata] ANN: pandas v0.17.0rc2 - RELEASE CANDIDATE 2

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Jeff Reback <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the availability of the second release candidate of
> Pandas 0.17.0.
> Please try this RC and report any issues here: Pandas Issues
> We will be releasing officially on October 9.
>
> **RELEASE CANDIDATE 2**
>
> From RC 1 we have:
>
> compat for Python 3.5
> compat for matplotlib 1.5.0
> .convert_objects is now restored to the original, and is deprecated
>
> This is a major release from 0.16.2 and includes a small number of API
> changes, several new features, enhancements, and performance improvements
> along with a large number of bug fixes. We recommend that all users upgrade
> to this version.
>
> Highlights include:
>
> Release the Global Interpreter Lock (GIL) on some cython operations, see
> here
> Plotting methods are now available as attributes of the .plot accessor, see
> here
> The sorting API has been revamped to remove some long-time inconsistencies,
> see here
> Support for a datetime64[ns] with timezones as a first-class dtype, see here
> The default for to_datetime will now be to raise when presented with
> unparseable formats, previously this would return the original input, see
> here
> The default for dropna in HDFStore has changed to False, to store by default
> all rows even if they are all NaN, see here
> Support for Series.dt.strftime to generate formatted strings for
> datetime-likes, see here
> Development installed versions of pandas will now have PEP440 compliant
> version strings GH9518
> Development support for benchmarking with the Air Speed Velocity library
> GH8316
> Support for reading SAS xport files, see here
> Removal of the automatic TimeSeries broadcasting, deprecated since 0.8.0,
> see here
> Display format with plain text can optionally align with Unicode East Asian
> Width, see here
> Compatibility with Python 3.5 GH11097
> Compatibility with matplotlib 1.5.0 GH11111
>

> See the Whatsnew for much more information.
>
> Best way to get this is to install via conda from our development channel.
> Builds for osx-64,linux-64,win-64 for Python 2.7, Python 3.4, and Python 3.5
> (for osx/linux) are all available.
>
> conda install pandas -c pandas

I built OSX wheels for Pythons 2.7, 3.4, 3.5. To test:

pip install --pre -f http://wheels.scipy.org pandas

There were some test failures for Python 3.3 - issue here:

https://github.com/pydata/pandas/issues/11232

Cheers,

Matthew