[SciPy-User] ANN: pandas v0.18.0rc2 - RELEASE CANDIDATE

[SciPy-User] ANN: pandas v0.18.0rc2 - RELEASE CANDIDATE

Jeff Reback-2
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the second release candidate of Pandas 0.18.0.
Please try this RC and report any issues here: Pandas Issues. Compared to RC1, we have added
updated read_sas and fixed float indexing. We will be releasing officially very shortly.

THIS IS NOT A PRODUCTION RELEASE

This is a major release from 0.17.1 and includes a small number of API changes, several new features, enhancements,
and performance improvements along with a large number of bug fixes. We recommend that all users upgrade to this version.

Highlights include:

  • pandas >= 0.18.0 will no longer support compatibility with Python version 2.6 GH7718 or version 3.3 GH11273
  • Moving and expanding window functions are now methods on Series and DataFrame similar to .groupby like objects, see here.
  • Adding support for a RangeIndex as a specialized form of the Int64Index for memory savings, see here.
  • API breaking .resample changes to make it more .groupby like, see here
  • Removal of support for positional indexing with floats, which was deprecated since 0.14.0. This will now raise a TypeError, see here
  • The .to_xarray() function has been added for compatibility with the xarray package see here.
  • The read_sas() function has been enhanced to read sas7bdat files, see here
  • Addition of the .str.extractall() method, and API changes to the the .str.extract() method, and the .str.cat() method
  • pd.test() top-level nose test runner is available GH4327

See the Whatsnew for much more information.

Best way to get this is to install via conda from our development channel. Builds for osx-64,linux-64,win-64 for Python 2.7 and Python 3.5 are all available.

conda install pandas=v0.18.0rc2 -c pandas

Thanks to all who made this release happen. It is a very large release!

Jeff