[SciPy-User] ANN: second release candidate for scipy 0.17.0

[SciPy-User] ANN: second release candidate for scipy 0.17.0

Evgeni Burovski
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the second release
candidate for Scipy 0.17.0. It's two days ahead of the original
schedule: based on typical development patterns, I'd like to have two
weekends and a full working week before January 17th, when this rc2 is
supposed to become the final release.

Please try this rc and report any issues on Github tracker or
scipy-dev mailing list.
Source tarballs and full release notes are available from Github
Releases: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/releases/tag/v0.17.0rc2

Compared to rc1, the following PRs were merged:

- - `#5624 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5624>`__: FIX: Fix interpolate
- - `#5625 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5625>`__: BUG: msvc9
binaries crash when indexing std::vector of size 0
- - `#5635 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5635>`__: BUG:
misspelled __dealloc__ in cKDTree.
- - `#5642 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5642>`__: STY: minor
fixup of formatting of 0.17.0 release notes.
- - `#5643 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5643>`__: BLD: fix a
build issue in special/Faddeeva.cc with isnan.
- - `#5661 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5661>`__: TST: linalg
tests used stdlib random instead of numpy.random.

There is a bit of an unusual change in this rc. In short, in testing
rc1 we found that 1) interpolate.interp1d had an undocumented feature
of allowing an array-valued fill_value to be broadcast against the
data being interpolated, and  2) we broke it in 0.17.0rc1. (See PR
5624 for details.)
We now *think* we fixed it so that no existing code is broken.
Nevertheless, I would like to encourage everyone to test their code
against this rc2, especially all code which uses interp1d.

Cheers,

Evgeni

Re: [Numpy-discussion] ANN: second release candidate for scipy 0.17.0

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Evgeni Burovski

> I'm pleased to announce the availability of the second release
> candidate for Scipy 0.17.0. It's two days ahead of the original
> schedule: based on typical development patterns, I'd like to have two
> weekends and a full working week before January 17th, when this rc2 is
> supposed to become the final release.
>
> Please try this rc and report any issues on Github tracker or
> scipy-dev mailing list.
> Source tarballs and full release notes are available from Github
> Releases: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/releases/tag/v0.17.0rc2
>
> Compared to rc1, the following PRs were merged:
>
> - - `#5624 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5624>`__: FIX: Fix interpolate
> - - `#5625 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5625>`__: BUG: msvc9
> binaries crash when indexing std::vector of size 0
> - - `#5635 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5635>`__: BUG:
> misspelled __dealloc__ in cKDTree.
> - - `#5642 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5642>`__: STY: minor
> fixup of formatting of 0.17.0 release notes.
> - - `#5643 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5643>`__: BLD: fix a
> build issue in special/Faddeeva.cc with isnan.
> - - `#5661 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5661>`__: TST: linalg
> tests used stdlib random instead of numpy.random.
>
> There is a bit of an unusual change in this rc. In short, in testing
> rc1 we found that 1) interpolate.interp1d had an undocumented feature
> of allowing an array-valued fill_value to be broadcast against the
> data being interpolated, and  2) we broke it in 0.17.0rc1. (See PR
> 5624 for details.)
> We now *think* we fixed it so that no existing code is broken.
> Nevertheless, I would like to encourage everyone to test their code
> against this rc2, especially all code which uses interp1d.

Thanks for doing this.  Testing builds of OSX wheels via
https://github.com/MacPython/scipy-wheels, I found this problem :
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/5689

Cheers,

Matthew