[SciPy-User] BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

[SciPy-User] BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

MaraMaus
Hi,

I'm trying to install scipy (originally I only wanted to install odespy, which requires odelab which requires scipy...).

I'm using Windows (32 bit). I followed the instructions in
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral
to install BLAS, where I only had to adjust the step where the environment variable is set by export for Windows. I use MinGW and blas.tgz was unpacked in the directory /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS:

Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ gfortran -O2 -std=legacy -fno-second-underscore -c *.f
dann build libfblas.a library, and set environment variable BLAS
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ ar r libfblas.a *.o
C:\MinGW\bin\ar.exe: creating libfblas.a
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ ranlib libfblas.a
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ rm -rf *.o
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"

Now when trying to install scipy via
>python setup.py install
I encounter the following error:

 in get_info
    raise self.notfounderror(self.notfounderror.__doc__)
numpy.distutils.system_info.BlasNotFoundError:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
    the BLAS environment variable.

I assume it has something to do with the step
$ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"
above, which might be wrong...?

I would be glad for any help! Thank you in advance,
Mara

Re: BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

klo uo
I guess you need lapack and then set correct paths in site.cfg file. Even more if you like to build under MinGW you can use Atlas with lapack for additional speedup. If you are interested in this path let me know I'll point you to Atlas project that compiles under MinGW.

But you can of course download and install ready made Scipy without all this trouble and you can even find prebuild windows SciPy packages compiled with MKL kindly provided here: http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#scipy

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to install scipy (originally I only wanted to install odespy, which requires odelab which requires scipy...).

I'm using Windows (32 bit). I followed the instructions in
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral
to install BLAS, where I only had to adjust the step where the environment variable is set by export for Windows. I use MinGW and blas.tgz was unpacked in the directory /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS:

Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ gfortran -O2 -std=legacy -fno-second-underscore -c *.f
dann build libfblas.a library, and set environment variable BLAS
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ ar r libfblas.a *.o
C:\MinGW\bin\ar.exe: creating libfblas.a
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ ranlib libfblas.a
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ rm -rf *.o
Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
$ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"

Now when trying to install scipy via
>python setup.py install
I encounter the following error:

 in get_info
    raise self.notfounderror(self.notfounderror.__doc__)
numpy.distutils.system_info.BlasNotFoundError:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
    the BLAS environment variable.

I assume it has something to do with the step
$ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"
above, which might be wrong...?

I would be glad for any help! Thank you in advance,
Mara

Re: BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

MaraMaus
Hi,

thank you very much for pointing me to the installer for Python 3.3! Scipy works now.

Unfortunately, odelab does not, although the installation process ended with "succesfully installed":

C:\Python33\Scripts>pip install -e git+https://github.com/olivierverdier/odelab#
egg=odelab
Obtaining odelab from git+https://github.com/olivierverdier/odelab#egg=odelab
  Cloning https://github.com/olivierverdier/odelab to c:\python33\scripts\src\od
elab
  Running setup.py egg_info for package odelab

Installing collected packages: odelab
  Running setup.py develop for odelab

    Creating c:\python33\lib\site-packages\odelab.egg-link (link to .)
    Adding odelab 0.0.0 to easy-install.pth file

    Installed c:\python33\scripts\src\odelab
Successfully installed odelab
Cleaning up...

When trying to import odelab in the python shell, I always obtain an Import error:

>>> from odelab import System
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\python33\scripts\src\odelab\odelab\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from solver import Solver, load_solver
ImportError: No module named 'solver'

Maybe you can help me with this issue, too?

Thank you very much again,
Mara

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:55:24 +0100
> Von: klo uo <[hidden email]>
> An: SciPy Users List <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [SciPy-User] BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

> I guess you need lapack and then set correct paths in site.cfg file. Even
> more if you like to build under MinGW you can use Atlas with lapack for
> additional speedup. If you are interested in this path let me know I'll
> point you to Atlas project that compiles under MinGW.
>
> But you can of course download and install ready made Scipy without all
> this trouble and you can even find prebuild windows SciPy packages
> compiled
> with MKL kindly provided here:
> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#scipy
>

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install scipy (originally I only wanted to install odespy,
> > which requires odelab which requires scipy...).
> >
> > I'm using Windows (32 bit). I followed the instructions in
> > http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral
> > to install BLAS, where I only had to adjust the step where the
> environment
> > variable is set by export for Windows. I use MinGW and blas.tgz was
> > unpacked in the directory /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS:
> >
> > Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
> > $ gfortran -O2 -std=legacy -fno-second-underscore -c *.f
> > dann build libfblas.a library, and set environment variable BLAS
> > Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
> > $ ar r libfblas.a *.o
> > C:\MinGW\bin\ar.exe: creating libfblas.a
> > Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
> > $ ranlib libfblas.a
> > Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
> > $ rm -rf *.o
> > Mara@Mara-PC /c/users/mara/desktop/PythonDoku/BLAS
> > $ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"
> >
> > Now when trying to install scipy via
> > >python setup.py install
> > I encounter the following error:
> >
> >  in get_info
> >     raise self.notfounderror(self.notfounderror.__doc__)
> > numpy.distutils.system_info.BlasNotFoundError:
> >     Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
> >     Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
> >     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
> >     the BLAS environment variable.
> >
> > I assume it has something to do with the step
> > $ export BLAS="c\users\mara\desktop\PythonDoku\BLAS\libfblas.a"
> > above, which might be wrong...?
> >
> > I would be glad for any help! Thank you in advance,
> > Mara

Re: BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

Thomas Kluyver-2
On 17 February 2013 14:25, Mara Grahl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> from odelab import System
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "c:\python33\scripts\src\odelab\odelab\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from solver import Solver, load_solver
ImportError: No module named 'solver'

Maybe you can help me with this issue, too?

It appears that odelab doesn't work on Python 3 yet. It's probably not that hard to do (a relatively small codebase, not handling lots of text, already using __future__.division), if someone wants to have a go at it. Otherwise, you'll need to install Python 2.7 for now.

Thomas

Re: BLAS libraries not found (Windows)

MaraMaus
Hi Thomas,

you were right, I installed python 2.7 and prerequisites for odelab, and now odelab is imported :)

thank you very much!

Mara

-------- Original-Nachricht --------