[SciPy-User] Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog featured on planet scipy

[SciPy-User] Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog featured on planet scipy

. kt

Hello,

I don't usually post to this list, but I check the blogs at planet.scipy.org regularly.  They generally have useful, interesting and appropriate content.

The 12 October 2017 post by Philip Herron seems to be a glaring exception.  By the post's title -- something about "sex toys for men" -- the material seems to be inappropriate for a scientific python blog aggregator.  (I didn't read the post, it could be satire or something -- but a blog post with that title should never appear on planet.scipy.org.)  It also seems to be the type of thing that could give scientific python a bad name, on a high visibility website, a link to which is on the scipy.org main page.

Perhaps a good time to test the proposed code of conduct.

Meanwhile, perhaps someone who can edit planet.scipy.org should remove the post -- sooner, rather than later.

Thanks,

kmtac

Re: Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog featured on planet scipy

Robert Kern-2
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:19 PM, . kt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't usually post to this list, but I check the blogs at planet.scipy.org regularly.  They generally have useful, interesting and appropriate content.
>
> The 12 October 2017 post by Philip Herron seems to be a glaring exception.  By the post's title -- something about "sex toys for men" -- the material seems to be inappropriate for a scientific python blog aggregator.  (I didn't read the post, it could be satire or something -- but a blog post with that title should never appear on planet.scipy.org.)  It also seems to be the type of thing that could give scientific python a bad name, on a high visibility website, a link to which is on the scipy.org main page.
>
> Perhaps a good time to test the proposed code of conduct.

FWIW, it seems more likely to me that the site got hacked and taken over by a spammer.

> Meanwhile, perhaps someone who can edit planet.scipy.org should remove the post -- sooner, rather than later.

It already seems to be gone.

Re: [SciPy-Dev] Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog featured on planet scipy

Gael Varoquaux
On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:45:04PM -0700, Robert Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:19 PM, . kt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Perhaps a good time to test the proposed code of conduct.

> FWIW, it seems more likely to me that the site got hacked and taken over by a
> spammer.

Indeed.

> > Meanwhile, perhaps someone who can edit planet.scipy.org should remove the post -- sooner, rather than later.

> It already seems to be gone.

Removing the feed is the first thing that I did when I woke up this
morning (Paris time zone).

I have admin rights on the planet. My name is listed there as an
administrator. People should not hesitate to contact me if something is
wrong with the planet and I haven't noticed. I'll take action as quickly
as possible.

Gaël

Re: [SciPy-Dev] Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog featured on planet scipy

Jerome Kieffer
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 09:47:41 +0200
Gael Varoquaux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have admin rights on the planet. My name is listed there as an
> administrator. People should not hesitate to contact me if something is
> wrong with the planet and I haven't noticed. I'll take action as quickly
> as possible.

Thanks for your work, Gael.

It does not always show up that "institutional-looking" sites are
actually managed by good-willing individuals with the limits associated
to human-beings.

--
Jérôme Kieffer
tel +33 476 882 445

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 09:47:41 +0200
From: Gael Varoquaux <[hidden email]>
To: SciPy Developers List <[hidden email]>
Cc: SciPy Users List <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [SciPy-User] [SciPy-Dev] Code of conduct: 12 Oct blog
        featured on planet scipy

>On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 11:45:04PM -0700, Robert Kern wrote:
> >On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:19 PM, . kt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Perhaps a good time to test the proposed code of conduct.

> >FWIW, it seems more likely to me that the site got hacked and taken over by a
> >spammer.

>Indeed.

>> > Meanwhile, perhaps someone who can edit planet.scipy.org should remove the post -- sooner, rather than later.

> >It already seems to be gone.

>Removing the feed is the first thing that I did when I woke up this
>morning (Paris time zone).

>I have admin rights on the planet. My name is listed there as an
>administrator. People should not hesitate to contact me if something is
>wrong with the planet and I haven't noticed. I'll take action as quickly
>as possible.

>Ga?l

Thanks, Gael!

I had looked for the administrator at planet scipy, but missed it despite your name being there in plain site on the sidebar.  In the unlikely event that this happens again, I'll email you directly.

It's good that there was no bad intent on anyone's part.

I actually did assume that the website was run by good-willing individuals.  My concern was more that newcomers to python for data analysis would not have the context to know this, especially since programming is now dominated by men*.   In particular, I was thinking of my sister, a mid-career MBA who says that the one gap in her education was not learning how to program.  I'm planning to teach her -- and perhaps others in her small, women-owned consulting firm -- how to program in python, to replace/supplement Excel-based analysis.   I would also recommend planet.scipy.org to her as useful resource -- it's where I discovered pandas and ipython/jupyter notebook.  But she and others would not have the background to know Wednesday's (hacked) post was very unusual.  Given the coverage of programming in the media (e.g., https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/04/why-is-silicon-valley-so-awful-to-women/517788/), it would be easy for those new to scientific python to make the wrong assumption.

*(But used to be dominated by women -- https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/computer-programming-used-to-be-womens-work-718061/ , https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/09/what-programmings-past-reveals-about-todays-gender-pay-gap/498797/.)

Best,
kmtac