[SciPy-User] Experimental Design with Python

[SciPy-User] Experimental Design with Python

memilanuk
Hello there,

Is anyone on the list involved with experimental design, aka 'design of
experiments', aka 'DoE'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_of_experiments
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pri/pri.htm

I'm having a very hard time finding much if anything about DoE involving
Python, which I kind of thought would be a natural fit given the utility
of scipy, etc..  R has an entire task view page on CRAN
(http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ExperimentalDesign.html).  Is there
some particular reason Python would be unsuitable for this sort of
endeavor, or something to explain the utter lack of interest?  I've
found a few packages (pyDOE, pyDesign, experimentator) but nothing like
the hype surrounding 'machine learning'.

I'm looking at using it to optimize something (for a hobby), and the
commercial stats packages such as Minitab, JMP, Stat-ease, etc. are
pretty much out-of-reach. At this point I'm leaning towards using R;
though I'm more comfortable overall with Python, I'm not really at a
point to where I feel comfortable 'rolling my own' for this sort of
thing just yet.

Thanks,

Monte

--
Shiny!  Let's be bad guys.

Reach me @ memilanuk (at) gmail dot com

Re: Experimental Design with Python

Alan G Isaac-2
On 3/10/2015 6:50 PM, memilanuk wrote:
> I'm having a very hard time finding much if anything about DoE involving
> Python, which I kind of thought would be a natural fit given the utility
> of scipy, etc.

Look at statsmodels and in particular model specification using patsy.
There is also many LHS variants in Python floating around (including in pyDOE).

fwiw,
Alan Isaac

Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Look at statsmodels and in particular model specification
using patsy.
> There is also many LHS variants in Python floating around
(including in pyDOE).

Cool.  I hadn't come across patsy before; definitely looks
interesting with the R-like syntax.

Another one I see mentioned occasionally is openMDAO.

Is there some place that would make sense as a central location
for info like this, or a tutorial on setting up and analyzing
experiments from start to finish  using various python tools?

Re: Experimental Design with Python

josef.pktd

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Monte Milanuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alan G Isaac <alan.isaac <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Look at statsmodels and in particular model specification
using patsy.
> There is also many LHS variants in Python floating around
(including in pyDOE).

Cool.  I hadn't come across patsy before; definitely looks
interesting with the R-like syntax.

Another one I see mentioned occasionally is openMDAO.

Thanks for the pointer, I haven't seen this before.

Is there some place that would make sense as a central location
for info like this, or a tutorial on setting up and analyzing
experiments from start to finish  using various python tools?

statsmodels would be a good location for DOE related tools and information. There is nothing specific yet in there (except some power and sample size calculations), and I don't have an overview for what belongs to DOE and would be useful.   (It's on the long term wishlist.)

A notebook or a documentation rst page would make a good start.

AFAIK, there is no other general purpose statistics package besides statsmodels, everything else is topic or domain specific.