[SciPy-User] Hello and first basic question

[SciPy-User] Hello and first basic question

Propadovic Nenad
Hello everybody,

I'd like to be sure: is this list the right place to ask detailed questions about SciPy- (and maybe Numpy-) usage?

When I was trying to find answers to my questions some two weeks ago I was rather confused with the original list basically ending around November last year ... Yeah, yesterday I digged in again, and saw the post announcing the switch to this location and now I'm here... But still, all posts of some depth related to the questions I have seem to be at stackoverflow... And I even saw a post somewhere recommending to use stackoverflow for SciPy-related questions. So may I ask what's the intention? Is stackoverflow actually the better place?

And related to that, is there a BD (as in BDFL) here? Or some group of BD-s?
I find it amazing that while math-applications of Python are all the rage nowdays, this group, which would naturally be the center of it all, is very quiet.

Anyway, for my next (technical) question, I'll stick around here for the moment.

Thanx in advance,
Nenad

Re: Hello and first basic question

Juan Nunez-Iglesias
Hey Nenad,

I'm not sure about BDs or email volume, but I follow this list and have found it informative. I don't generally monitor SO but obviously Google often directs me there. In short, I'd recommend subscribing to this list. The low volume might be an advantage — and perhaps can be interpreted as high signal-to-noise. (Present thread excepted. =P)

Juan.

On 22 Feb 2017, 6:47 PM +1100, Propadovic Nenad <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto

Hello Propadovic,

This is a rather quiet and infrequent list. I joined it because I had a simple
nevertheless important (to me) question about SciPy installation. Never got
any replies. C'est la vie. Maybe the question wasn't that simple after all.
Now that you mentioned that people resort to StackOverflow to get answers to
their SciPy-related questions I'm pondering whether I shouldn't give SO a shot.
Who knows, eh?

Good luck!

Fausto

Re: Hello and first basic question

Evgeni Burovski
> I'd like to be sure: is this list the right place to ask detailed questions
> about SciPy- (and maybe Numpy-) usage?

Yes.

> When I was trying to find answers to my questions some two weeks ago I was
> rather confused with the original list basically ending around November last
> year ... Yeah, yesterday I digged in again, and saw the post announcing the
> switch to this location and now I'm here... But still, all posts of some
> depth related to the questions I have seem to be at stackoverflow... And I
> even saw a post somewhere recommending to use stackoverflow for
> SciPy-related questions. So may I ask what's the intention? Is stackoverflow
> actually the better place?

Yeah, the move from an old list to this one was rather recent, and the
we are still in transition. I for one, sent an email to an old list
just a couple of days ago and had to stare a bit at an automated reply
saying I'm not subscribed.
Hopefully this list will pick it up --- we'll see if current users
find Stackoverflow a more convenient medium.

> And related to that, is there a BD (as in BDFL) here? Or some group of BD-s?

Here's the relevant email thread from scipy-dev list:
https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2016-September/021519.html

> I find it amazing that while math-applications of Python are all the rage
> nowdays, this group, which would naturally be the center of it all, is very
> quiet.
>
> Anyway, for my next (technical) question, I'll stick around here for the
> moment.

Sure! Like I said, this list is active if people use it, so ask away!

Cheers,

Evgeni