Quantcast

[SciPy-User] Installing NumPy/SciPy on Windows without the use of Pip

[SciPy-User] Installing NumPy/SciPy on Windows without the use of Pip

Whalen, Joel C

Hello,

I hope I am in the right place with my request. I haven’t been able to find anything on stack overflow or your website that gives alternatives to building your python package without the use of Pip. My work network does not allow the network traffic of an automated web tool such as Pip, so I’ve been installing all python packages manually.

The problem is when I go to “python setup.py install” in C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\numpy-1.11+mkl-cp27-cp27m-win32\numpy, the setup file does not allow you to invoke it directly and instead prints “This is the wrong setup.py file to run”. My question is: What *is* the correct setup.py file? I can’t seem to find it in the source code or anyone talking about this online. Perhaps I’m approaching this incorrectly, and would appreciate any and all input.

Thank you for your consideration,

-          Joel

Re: Installing NumPy/SciPy on Windows without the use of Pip

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Jason Sachs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Use Anaconda Python! It's much easier to get going with numpy and scipy and
> matplotlib.
>
> https://www.continuum.io/anaconda-overview
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Whalen, Joel C <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I hope I am in the right place with my request. I haven’t been able to
>> find anything on stack overflow or your website that gives alternatives to
>> building your python package without the use of Pip. My work network does
>> not allow the network traffic of an automated web tool such as Pip, so I’ve
>> been installing all python packages manually.
>>

>> The problem is when I go to “python setup.py install” in
>> C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\numpy-1.11+mkl-cp27-cp27m-win32\numpy, the
>> setup file does not allow you to invoke it directly and instead prints “This
>> is the wrong setup.py file to run”. My question is: What *is* the correct
>> setup.py file? I can’t seem to find it in the source code or anyone talking
>> about this online. Perhaps I’m approaching this incorrectly, and would
>> appreciate any and all input.
>>

>> Thank you for your consideration,

From your path, it looks like you have downloaded one of Christoph
Gohlke's binaries from http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ and
unzipped it into your site-packages directory.  Is that the case?  If
so, you need to first delete the numpy-1.11+mkl-cp27-cp27m-win32
directory.

Next, I suggest you download all the wheels you need from Christoph's
site to a directory, maybe c:\wheels, then:

cd c:\wheels
pip install numpy-1.11+mkl-cp27-cp27m-win32.whl

etc.

The `setup.py` files are for installing from the source distributions,
but binary distributions like wheels (*.whl) are a better idea on
Windows.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: Installing NumPy/SciPy on Windows without the use of Pip

Whalen, Joel C
Thank you so much! Unfortunately, pip is telling me that the .whl is not a supported wheel on this platform. I'm on 64 bit, and this is true even after I use the amd64.whl. Same error.

Also deleting that directory in my site-packages folder was a huge pain because Windows didn't even let Administrator approval remove it. I had to rd /s /q to get rid of it.

All in all, windows really doesn't want me to install numpy apparently.

From your path, it looks like you have downloaded one of Christoph Gohlke's binaries from http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ and unzipped it into your site-packages directory.  Is that the case?  If so, you need to first delete the numpy-1.11+mkl-cp27-cp27m-win32 directory.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 1:57 PM, Whalen, Joel C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you so much! Unfortunately, pip is telling me that the .whl is not a supported wheel on this platform. I'm on 64 bit, and this is true even after I use the amd64.whl. Same error.
>
> Also deleting that directory in my site-packages folder was a huge pain because Windows didn't even let Administrator approval remove it. I had to rd /s /q to get rid of it.
>
> All in all, windows really doesn't want me to install numpy apparently.

You're nearly there!   First - upgrade pip to the latest version:

python -m pip install --upgrade pip

Then try installing the `*amd64.whl` - if your *Python* is 64-bit.
Remember that your Python may be 32-bit even though your Windows is 64
bit.  Test which, with:

python -c "import platform; print(platform.architecture())"

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: Installing NumPy/SciPy on Windows without the use of Pip

Whalen, Joel C
These are some really great tips! Helps me a lot with just learning python in general.

I don't have internet on this desktop pc due to an internal issue, but I ended up getting numpy installed with an internal tool! It's a cop-out, I know. But I never understood python wheels until you emailed me this, so I appreciate it a lot.

I also didn't know about that -c argument. That's awesome and quick.

Thank you for everything,

- Joel