[SciPy-User] Installing scipy on MacOS X

12

Re: Installing scipy on MacOS X

Sturla Molden-3
On 17/06/15 21:02, Sturla Molden wrote:

>> I take it Anaconda doesn't provide gfortran -- too bad, that would be nice.
>
> They don't, but they should :)
>
> The gfortran maintainers does provide binaries:
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries
>
> It supports Fortran, C, C++, Objective C and Objective-C++. It has
> OpenMP and it builds OpenBLAS, NumPy and SciPy without any fuzz. That is
> all I personally care about.

Also I have used it with Enthought Canopy (Python 2.7, 64 bit) and it
works ok for building NumPy and SciPy.

Sturla

Re: Installing scipy on MacOS X

Rob Clewley
Hi Joe,

> Getting this working also fixed compilation issues I was having with installing PyDSTool and running the examples. Rob Clewley was subject to my haplessness in April. He is probably too kind to say it, but I'm sure he was at least a bit happy that I "went away". He may suffer for my return! Hopefully I turn around and start adding value to the community soon. I reapply appreciate all the help that was heaped on me (I was feverishly trying to try all of it, it came so fast). It is precisely the reason I "jumped communities" from being a longtime Matlab user/developer/advocate. I certainly appreciate all of the community's help as I continue to learn:

Yes, and I've confirmed in the meantime that you basically will not be
able to use PyDSTool's C ODE integrators on a 64 bit Windows platform.
Numpy and scipy in Anaconda or the other pre-made packages were not
built in a way that makes them compatible with compilers other than
MVSC, so the usual cygwin/mingw route with gcc will not work. The only
solution, AFAIK, is that you buy MVSC. There are a few more tech
details posted on the sourceforge forum, but that's the short version.
Sadly, I still have to recommend the fully 32-bit install of the scipy
stack for use with PyDSTool, or any software that needs to compile
using distutils.

-Rob
12