[SciPy-User] NumPy v1.13.0rc1 released.

Charles R Harris
Hi All,

I'm please to announce the NumPy 1.13.0rc1 release. This release supports Python 2.7 and 3.4-3.6 and contains many new features. It is one of the most ambitious releases in the last several years. Some of the highlights and new functions are

Highlights
  • Operations like ``a + b + c`` will reuse temporaries on some platforms, resulting in less memory use and faster execution.
  • Inplace operations check if inputs overlap outputs and create temporaries to avoid problems.
  • New __array_ufunc__ attribute provides improved ability for classes to override default ufunc behavior.
  •  New np.block function for creating blocked arrays.

New functions
  • New ``np.positive`` ufunc.
  • New ``np.divmod`` ufunc provides more efficient divmod.
  • New ``np.isnat`` ufunc tests for NaT special values.
  • New ``np.heaviside`` ufunc computes the Heaviside function.
  • New ``np.isin`` function, improves on ``in1d``.
  • New ``np.block`` function for creating blocked arrays.
  • New ``PyArray_MapIterArrayCopyIfOverlap`` added to NumPy C-API.
Wheels for the pre-release are available on PyPI. Source tarballs, zipfiles, release notes, and the Changelog are available on github.

A total of 100 people contributed to this release.  People with a "+" by their
names contributed a patch for the first time.
  • A. Jesse Jiryu Davis +
  • Alessandro Pietro Bardelli +
  • Alex Rothberg +
  • Alexander Shadchin
  • Allan Haldane
  • Andres Guzman-Ballen +
  • Antoine Pitrou
  • Antony Lee
  • B R S Recht +
  • Baurzhan Muftakhidinov +
  • Ben Rowland
  • Benda Xu +
  • Blake Griffith
  • Bradley Wogsland +
  • Brandon Carter +
  • CJ Carey
  • Charles Harris
  • Danny Hermes +
  • Duke Vijitbenjaronk +
  • Egor Klenin +
  • Elliott Forney +
  • Elliott M Forney +
  • Endolith
  • Eric Wieser
  • Erik M. Bray
  • Eugene +
  • Evan Limanto +
  • Felix Berkenkamp +
  • François Bissey +
  • Frederic Bastien
  • Greg Young
  • Gregory R. Lee
  • Importance of Being Ernest +
  • Jaime Fernandez
  • Jakub Wilk +
  • James Cowgill +
  • James Sanders
  • Jean Utke +
  • Jesse Thoren +
  • Jim Crist +
  • Joerg Behrmann +
  • John Kirkham
  • Jonathan Helmus
  • Jonathan L Long
  • Jonathan Tammo Siebert +
  • Joseph Fox-Rabinovitz
  • Joshua Loyal +
  • Juan Nunez-Iglesias +
  • Julian Taylor
  • Kirill Balunov +
  • Likhith Chitneni +
  • Loïc Estève
  • Mads Ohm Larsen
  • Marein Könings +
  • Marten van Kerkwijk
  • Martin Thoma
  • Martino Sorbaro +
  • Marvin Schmidt +
  • Matthew Brett
  • Matthias Bussonnier +
  • Matthias C. M. Troffaes +
  • Matti Picus
  • Michael Seifert
  • Mikhail Pak +
  • Mortada Mehyar
  • Nathaniel J. Smith
  • Nick Papior
  • Oscar Villellas +
  • Pauli Virtanen
  • Pavel Potocek
  • Pete Peeradej Tanruangporn +
  • Philipp A +
  • Ralf Gommers
  • Robert Kern
  • Roland Kaufmann +
  • Ronan Lamy
  • Sami Salonen +
  • Sanchez Gonzalez Alvaro
  • Sebastian Berg
  • Shota Kawabuchi
  • Simon Gibbons
  • Stefan Otte
  • Stefan Peterson +
  • Stephan Hoyer
  • Søren Fuglede Jørgensen +
  • Takuya Akiba
  • Tom Boyd +
  • Ville Skyttä +
  • Warren Weckesser
  • Wendell Smith
  • Yu Feng
  • Zixu Zhao +
  • Zè Vinícius +
  • aha66 +
  • davidjn +
  • drabach +
  • drlvk +
  • jsh9 +
  • solarjoe +
  • zengi +
Cheers,

Chuck

Re: [Numpy-discussion] NumPy v1.13.0rc1 released.

Nathaniel Smith
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:06 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Chuck,
>
> Is there a docs build for this release somewhere? I'd like to find an
> authoritative reference about __array_ufunc__, which I'd hesistated on
> looking into until now for fear about the API changing.

A sort-of-rendered version of the end-user docs can be seen here:
  https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/source/reference/arrays.classes.rst

And the NEP has been updated to hopefully provide a more spec-like
description of the final version:
  https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/neps/ufunc-overrides.rst

Note that the API is "provisional" in 1.13, i.e. it *might* change in
backwards-incompatible ways:
  https://docs.python.org/3/glossary.html#term-provisional-api

-n

Re: [Numpy-discussion] NumPy v1.13.0rc1 released.

Nadav Horesh

There is a change to "expand_dims" function, that it is now does not allow axis = a.ndims.

This influences matplotlib function get_bending_matrices in triinterpolate.py

  Nadav