[SciPy-User] Numpy 1.10.1 released.

Charles R Harris
Hi All,

I'm pleased to announce the release of Numpy 1.10.1. This release fixes some build problems and serves to reset the release number on pipy to something usable. As a note for future release managers, I had to upload these files from the command line, as using the file upload option at pipy resulted in a failure to parse the version.

NumPy 1.10.1 Release Notes
**************************

This release deals with a few build problems that showed up in 1.10.0. Most
users would not have seen these problems. The differences are:

* Compiling with msvc9 or msvc10 for 32 bit Windows now requires SSE2.
  This was the easiest fix for what looked to be some miscompiled code when
  SSE2 was not used. If you need to compile for 32 bit Windows systems
  without SSE2 support, mingw32 should still work.

* Make compiling with VS2008 python2.7 SDK easier

* Change Intel compiler options so that code will also be generated to
  support systems without SSE4.2.

* Some _config test functions needed an explicit integer return in
  order to avoid the openSUSE rpmlinter erring out.

* We ran into a problem with pipy not allowing reuse of filenames and a
  resulting proliferation of *.*.*.postN releases. Not only were the names
  getting out of hand, some packages were unable to work with the postN
  suffix.

Numpy 1.10.1 supports Python 2.6 - 2.7 and 3.2 - 3.5.

Commits:

45a3d84 DEP: Remove warning for `full` when dtype is set.
0c1a5df BLD: import setuptools to allow compile with VS2008 python2.7 sdk
04211c6 BUG: mask nan to 1 in ordered compare
826716f DOC: Document the reason msvc requires SSE2 on 32 bit platforms.
49fa187 BLD: enable SSE2 for 32-bit msvc 9 and 10 compilers
dcbc4cc MAINT: remove Wreturn-type warnings from config checks
d6564cb BLD: do not build exclusively for SSE4.2 processors
15cb66f BLD: do not build exclusively for SSE4.2 processors
c38bc08 DOC: fix var. reference in percentile docstring
78497f4 DOC: Sync 1.10.0-notes.rst in 1.10.x branch with master.

Cheers,

Chuck

Re: [Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.10.1 released.

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Charles R Harris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm pleased to announce the release of Numpy 1.10.1. This release fixes some
> build problems and serves to reset the release number on pipy to something
> usable. As a note for future release managers, I had to upload these files
> from the command line, as using the file upload option at pipy resulted in a
> failure to parse the version.
>
> NumPy 1.10.1 Release Notes
> **************************
>
> This release deals with a few build problems that showed up in 1.10.0. Most
> users would not have seen these problems. The differences are:
>
> * Compiling with msvc9 or msvc10 for 32 bit Windows now requires SSE2.
>   This was the easiest fix for what looked to be some miscompiled code when
>   SSE2 was not used. If you need to compile for 32 bit Windows systems
>   without SSE2 support, mingw32 should still work.
>
> * Make compiling with VS2008 python2.7 SDK easier
>
> * Change Intel compiler options so that code will also be generated to
>   support systems without SSE4.2.
>
> * Some _config test functions needed an explicit integer return in
>   order to avoid the openSUSE rpmlinter erring out.
>
> * We ran into a problem with pipy not allowing reuse of filenames and a
>   resulting proliferation of *.*.*.postN releases. Not only were the names
>   getting out of hand, some packages were unable to work with the postN
>   suffix.
>

> Numpy 1.10.1 supports Python 2.6 - 2.7 and 3.2 - 3.5.
>

> Commits:
>
> 45a3d84 DEP: Remove warning for `full` when dtype is set.
> 0c1a5df BLD: import setuptools to allow compile with VS2008 python2.7 sdk
> 04211c6 BUG: mask nan to 1 in ordered compare
> 826716f DOC: Document the reason msvc requires SSE2 on 32 bit platforms.
> 49fa187 BLD: enable SSE2 for 32-bit msvc 9 and 10 compilers
> dcbc4cc MAINT: remove Wreturn-type warnings from config checks
> d6564cb BLD: do not build exclusively for SSE4.2 processors
> 15cb66f BLD: do not build exclusively for SSE4.2 processors
> c38bc08 DOC: fix var. reference in percentile docstring
> 78497f4 DOC: Sync 1.10.0-notes.rst in 1.10.x branch with master.

Thanks a lot for guiding this through.

I uploaded the OSX wheels to pypi via :
https://github.com/MacPython/numpy-wheels

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: [Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.10.1 released.

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
* Compiling with msvc9 or msvc10 for 32 bit Windows now requires SSE2.
  This was the easiest fix for what looked to be some miscompiled code when
  SSE2 was not used.

Note that there is discusion right now on pyton-dev about requireing SSE2 for teh python.org build of python3.5 -- it does now, so it's fine for third party pacakges to also require it. But there is some talk of removing that requirement -- still a lot of old machines around, I guess -- particular at schools and the like.

Ideally, any binary wheels on PyPi should be compatible with the python.org builds -- so not require SSE2, if the python.org builds don't.

Though we had this discussion a while back -- and numpy could, and maybe should require more -- did we ever figure out a way to get a meaningful message to the user if they try to run an SSE2 build on a machine without SSE2?

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: [Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.10.1 released.

Nathaniel Smith

On Oct 14, 2015 9:15 AM, "Chris Barker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> * Compiling with msvc9 or msvc10 for 32 bit Windows now requires SSE2.
>>   This was the easiest fix for what looked to be some miscompiled code when
>>   SSE2 was not used.
>

> Note that there is discusion right now on pyton-dev about requireing SSE2 for teh python.org build of python3.5 -- it does now, so it's fine for third party pacakges to also require it. But there is some talk of removing that requirement -- still a lot of old machines around, I guess -- particular at schools and the like.

Note that the 1.10.1 release announcement is somewhat misleading -- apparently the affected builds have actually required SSE2 since numpy 1.8, and the change here just makes it even more required. I'm not sure if this is all 32 bit builds or only ones using msvc that have been needing SSE2 all along. The change in 1.10.1 only affects msvc, which is not what most people are using (IIUC Enthought Canopy uses msvc, but the pypi, gohlke, and Anaconda builds don't).

I'm actually not sure if anyone even uses the 32 bit builds at all :-)

> Ideally, any binary wheels on PyPi should be compatible with the python.org builds -- so not require SSE2, if the python.org builds don't.
>
> Though we had this discussion a while back -- and numpy could, and maybe should require more -- did we ever figure out a way to get a meaningful message to the user if they try to run an SSE2 build on a machine without SSE2?

It's not that difficult in principle, just someone has to do it :-).

-n

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

The change in 1.10.1 only affects msvc, which is not what most people are using (IIUC Enthought Canopy uses msvc, but the pypi, gohlke, and Anaconda builds don't).

Anaconda uses MSVC for the most part -- they _may_ compile numpy itself some other way, no one but continuum knows for sure  :-)

I'm actually not sure if anyone even uses the 32 bit builds at all :-)

There's a lot of 32 bit python use out there still, including numpy.

We ever figure out a way to get a meaningful message to the user if they try to run an SSE2 build on a machine without SSE2?

It's not that difficult in principle, just someone has to do it :-).

yeah, there's always that ....

-CHB

-n

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Re: [Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.10.1 released.

David Cournapeau

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Nathaniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Oct 14, 2015 9:15 AM, "Chris Barker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Charles R Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> * Compiling with msvc9 or msvc10 for 32 bit Windows now requires SSE2.
>>   This was the easiest fix for what looked to be some miscompiled code when
>>   SSE2 was not used.
>

> Note that there is discusion right now on pyton-dev about requireing SSE2 for teh python.org build of python3.5 -- it does now, so it's fine for third party pacakges to also require it. But there is some talk of removing that requirement -- still a lot of old machines around, I guess -- particular at schools and the like.

Note that the 1.10.1 release announcement is somewhat misleading -- apparently the affected builds have actually required SSE2 since numpy 1.8, and the change here just makes it even more required. I'm not sure if this is all 32 bit builds or only ones using msvc that have been needing SSE2 all along. The change in 1.10.1 only affects msvc, which is not what most people are using (IIUC Enthought Canopy uses msvc, but the pypi, gohlke, and Anaconda builds don't).

I'm actually not sure if anyone even uses the 32 bit builds at all :-)

I cannot divulge exact figures for downloads, but for us at Enthought, windows 32 bits is in the same ballpark as OS X and Linux (64 bits) in terms of proportion, windows 64 bits being significantly more popular.

Linux 32 bits and OS X 32 bits have been in the 1 % range each of our downloads for a while (we recently stopped support for both).

David