[SciPy-User] Question about the position and orientation of the 2dcircle in Mayavi's quiver3d plotting function

[SciPy-User] Question about the position and orientation of the 2dcircle in Mayavi's quiver3d plotting function

Martin81
Dear Python users,

I am using the Mayavi toolkit quite a bit, because it is a very nicely packaged 3D visualization toolkit. I use it mainly for displaying triangle meshes and point cloud data, but recently I found it necessary to visualize disks as well. The mayavi.mlab.quiver3d() function seems to be adequate for this, however its '2dcircles' are oriented contrary to what I expected. I expected that these 2dcircles would be oriented so that their normal vectors would point in the direction that a normal '2darrow' would point to, but it doesn't. Instead, the normal vector of the 2dcircle is orthogonal to the direction of the 2darray. In addition the 2dcircle is not centered on the 3D point (specified by the x,y,z input arrays), but touches it. Is there a way around this? Or is there another function I overlooked that centers the circles onto a 3D coordinate?

Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated.

Martin

Re: Question about the position and orientation of the 2dcircle in Mayavi's quiver3d plotting function

Robert Kern-2
On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Martin van Leeuwen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Python users,
>
> I am using the Mayavi toolkit quite a bit, because it is a very nicely
> packaged 3D visualization toolkit. I use it mainly for displaying triangle
> meshes and point cloud data, but recently I found it necessary to visualize
> disks as well. The mayavi.mlab.quiver3d() function seems to be adequate for
> this, however its '2dcircles' are oriented contrary to what I expected. I
> expected that these 2dcircles would be oriented so that their normal vectors
> would point in the direction that a normal '2darrow' would point to, but it
> doesn't. Instead, the normal vector of the 2dcircle is orthogonal to the
> direction of the 2darray. In addition the 2dcircle is not centered on the 3D
> point (specified by the x,y,z input arrays), but touches it. Is there a way
> around this? Or is there another function I overlooked that centers the
> circles onto a 3D coordinate?
>
> Thanks in advance! Any help is appreciated.

Questions about Mayavi are best asked on enthought-dev or StackOverflow.