[SciPy-User] Recommendation for optimize.root method to use

[SciPy-User] Recommendation for optimize.root method to use

David Goldsmith
Hi!  I found http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.optimize.root.html#scipy.optimize.root and thence found the three references therein, which I've downloaded, but I'm hoping for "instant gratification": my objective function, from R^4 to R, involves linear combinations of log and atan (neither of these are composed with the other) with rational functions of linear and quadratic polynomials as arguments: any recommendation as to which optimize.root method(s) I should use?  Time is not of the essence, i.e., I don't necessarily need them to be super-fast.  Thanks!

DLG

Re: Recommendation for optimize.root method to use

David Goldsmith
Did I embarrass myself (again) by posting under-informed: I want to solve an over-determined highly-transcendental system (arising from a non-linear least-squares minimization) and according to Wikipedia, the standard (non-guess-and-check) way is to first linearize and then solve that system using standard approaches, then shift a little, re-solve and check, repeat, so I guess I don't need the non-linear solver after all...though it sounds like I might want to use a "fancy" Jacobian estimator: any recommendations for that?  Thanks!

DLG