[SciPy-User] SciPy ecosystem and Python 3

12

Re: SciPy ecosystem and Python 3

Charles R Harris

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2 July 2013 07:47, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Please keep in mind that it's much more important to you, as an active dev
>> who cares about 3.x adoption, then to them. All newcomers are getting for
>> now is some compatibility issues and strings they don't understand. On the
>> upside they don't have to move a few years later, but the business case is
>> thin.
>

> I'm not just doing this to cheerlead Python 3 adoption. Many of us have seen
> newcomers being confused by the split. I don't have references handy, but
> I've heard about courses that have asked people to preinstall Python, and
> despite careful instructions, people have turned up with a mixture of Python
> 2 and Python 3, which then wastes valuable time while everyone gets to the
> same starting point. Discussion sites see regular 'should I use 2 or 3'
> threads. And it's easy to imagine potential users who're evaluating Python
> against alternative solutions, and get put off by the 2/3 split, though we
> probably don't hear from them.

Agreeing with Thomas:

Most of us when starting with a new software stack, look for the
latest version.  I guess this is because it's fun to use the latest
stuff, and because it's annoying learning habits for stuff that will
soon be deprecated or raise an error.

Good point. I always used to download the latest and greatest version of everything in the expectation that it would be better ;)

<snip>

Chuck

12