[SciPy-User] Scientific Python Survey

Thomas Robitaille
Hi everyone,

If you use scientific Python packages for your research/work, I would
appreciate if you could take a few minutes to fill out the following
survey:

  http://goo.gl/PXzFAk

The aim of this survey is to find out what versions of Python and
various scientific Python packages people are using, and how people
typically install packages, in order to determine how developers can
better meet the needs of the Scientific Python community (for example,
a common question is which version of Numpy need to be supported by
packages).

This is a follow-up to a similar survey which I did back in 2012 and
which provided very interesting results that you can read about here:

  http://astrofrog.github.io/blog/2013/01/13/what-python-installations-are-scientists-using

Please feel free to forward this survey to people in your own
scientific Python communities!

I will publish the results online in a few weeks.

Thanks!
Tom

Re: Scientific Python Survey

Alan G Isaac-2
On 3/2/2015 10:23 AM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
>    http://goo.gl/PXzFAk

A comment on the instructions:
Windows requires double quotes to give python commands at a DOS prompt.

Alan Isaac

Re: Scientific Python Survey

Jason Moore
These days with conda, it is so easy to have numerous versions of all these packages. For example, I have conda environments for different projects and have a range of numpy versions used in each, from 1.6.1 to 1.9.1.

What version would you expect us to enter if we use lots of versions in production scenarios?

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Thomas Robitaille <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oleksandr Huziy
Hi Jason:

I was curious if it is possible to use pip with conda ?
Myself I am able to install anything with pip or setup.py and never use conda, but for others condo could be a good alternative. But if the  people to whom I could recommend conda would need something beyond, will they be able to use pip to install something else?

Thanks

These days with conda, it is so easy to have numerous versions of all these packages. For example, I have conda environments for different projects and have a range of numpy versions used in each, from 1.6.1 to 1.9.1.

What version would you expect us to enter if we use lots of versions in production scenarios?

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 <a href="tel:530-601-9791" value="+15306019791" target="_blank">530-601-9791

[...]

Sasha

Re: Scientific Python Survey

Cyrille Rossant
Hi,

pip works just fine with conda:
http://conda.pydata.org/docs/faq.html#installation

Cyrille

> Hi Jason:
>
> I was curious if it is possible to use pip with conda ?
> Myself I am able to install anything with pip or setup.py and never use
> conda, but for others condo could be a good alternative. But if the  people
> to whom I could recommend conda would need something beyond, will they be
> able to use pip to install something else?
>
> Thanks

>> These days with conda, it is so easy to have numerous versions of all
>> these packages. For example, I have conda environments for different
>> projects and have a range of numpy versions used in each, from 1.6.1 to
>> 1.9.1.
>>
>> What version would you expect us to enter if we use lots of versions in
>> production scenarios?
>>

>> Jason
>> moorepants.info
>> +01 530-601-9791
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Thomas Robitaille
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> If you use scientific Python packages for your research/work, I would
>>> appreciate if you could take a few minutes to fill out the following
>>> survey:
>>>
>>>   http://goo.gl/PXzFAk
>>>
>>> The aim of this survey is to find out what versions of Python and
>>> various scientific Python packages people are using, and how people
>>> typically install packages, in order to determine how developers can
>>> better meet the needs of the Scientific Python community (for example,
>>> a common question is which version of Numpy need to be supported by
>>> packages).
>>>
>>> This is a follow-up to a similar survey which I did back in 2012 and
>>> which provided very interesting results that you can read about here:
>>>

>>> http://astrofrog.github.io/blog/2013/01/13/what-python-installations-are-scientists-using
>>>
>>> Please feel free to forward this survey to people in your own
>>> scientific Python communities!
>>>
>>> I will publish the results online in a few weeks.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Tom

> Sasha

Re: Scientific Python Survey

Matthew Brett

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Jason Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
> These days with conda, it is so easy to have numerous versions of all these
> packages. For example, I have conda environments for different projects and
> have a range of numpy versions used in each, from 1.6.1 to 1.9.1.
>
> What version would you expect us to enter if we use lots of versions in
> production scenarios?

Yes, likewise with virtualenvs on OSX - I just chose my two most
common virtualenvs (up-to-date numpy, scipy, matplotlib) with 2.7.9
and 3.4.2,

Cheers,

Matthew