Quantcast

[SciPy-User] Scientific citation numpy.random.multinomial

[SciPy-User] Scientific citation numpy.random.multinomial

Johannes Radinger-2
Hi all,

I am using the function numpy.random.multinomial in my code and want
to explicitly cite this function/method in a scientific (peer reviewed) article.
What is the appropriate way to cite numpy.random.multinomial?

I am aware that SciPy can be cited as:
Jones E, Oliphant E, Peterson P, et al. SciPy: Open Source Scientific Tools for Python, 2001-,
http://www.scipy.org/ [Online; accessed 2016-03-21].

However, this is not specifically for the "random" library of numpy. Is there any other reference one can use?

Best regards,
Johannes

Re: Scientific citation numpy.random.multinomial

Stephan Hoyer
Hi Johannes,

If you delve into NumPy's source code, you'll discover that it uses the Box-Muller transform:

Apparently this is known as the "Marsaglia polar method":

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:42 AM, Johannes Radinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I am using the function numpy.random.multinomial in my code and want
to explicitly cite this function/method in a scientific (peer reviewed) article.
What is the appropriate way to cite numpy.random.multinomial?

I am aware that SciPy can be cited as:
Jones E, Oliphant E, Peterson P, et al. SciPy: Open Source Scientific Tools for Python, 2001-,
http://www.scipy.org/ [Online; accessed 2016-03-21].

However, this is not specifically for the "random" library of numpy. Is there any other reference one can use?

Best regards,
Johannes

Re: Scientific citation numpy.random.multinomial

Stephan Hoyer
And... apparently I have poor reading comprehension -- Johannes asked about the multinomial distribution, not the normal distribution.

That said, the same method should work -- look in the source code!