[SciPy-User] Solving equations in SciPy

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[SciPy-User] Solving equations in SciPy

Gabriele Brambilla
Hi all,

is it possible to finding roots of equations in Scipy? Is there any function that does this task? For example an equation solver able to find the complex roots of an equation like

X^4 + aX^3 + ... = 0

?

thanks

Gabriele

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solving equations in SciPy

Cyrille Rossant
If you want numerical solutions:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.14.0/reference/optimize.nonlin.html
If you want analytical (exact, symbolic) solutions:
http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/solvers/solvers.html

2015-01-29 19:21 GMT+01:00 Gabriele Brambilla <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to finding roots of equations in Scipy? Is there any function
> that does this task? For example an equation solver able to find the complex
> roots of an equation like
>
> X^4 + aX^3 + ... = 0
>
> ?
>
> thanks
>
> Gabriele
>
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
>
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solving equations in SciPy

Gabriele Brambilla
thanks

Gabriele

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Cyrille Rossant <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want numerical solutions:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.14.0/reference/optimize.nonlin.html
If you want analytical (exact, symbolic) solutions:
http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/solvers/solvers.html

2015-01-29 19:21 GMT+01:00 Gabriele Brambilla <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to finding roots of equations in Scipy? Is there any function
> that does this task? For example an equation solver able to find the complex
> roots of an equation like
>
> X^4 + aX^3 + ... = 0
>
> ?
>
> thanks
>
> Gabriele
>
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
>
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user


_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solving equations in SciPy

josef.pktd


On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Gabriele Brambilla <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks

Gabriele

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Cyrille Rossant <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want numerical solutions:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.14.0/reference/optimize.nonlin.html
If you want analytical (exact, symbolic) solutions:
http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/solvers/solvers.html

2015-01-29 19:21 GMT+01:00 Gabriele Brambilla <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all,
>
> is it possible to finding roots of equations in Scipy? Is there any function
> that does this task? For example an equation solver able to find the complex
> roots of an equation like
>
> X^4 + aX^3 + ... = 0


just to add to Cyrille's answer: If you have a polynomial instead of a general non-linear function, then the functions in np.polynomial and np.roots can find all roots.

Josef

 
>
> ?
>
> thanks
>
> Gabriele
>
> _______________________________________________
> SciPy-User mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
>
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user


_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user



_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user