[SciPy-User] Talk at Scipy Conference

kgulliks
Hey all, sorry if this is slightly off topic. I am thinking about applying to give a talk at the Scipy 2015 conference. Does anyone here know what happens if my talk is declined? At the astronomy conferences I have been to, you automatically just give a poster if your talk is not accepted. Is that the case at Scipy?

Thanks!
Kevin Gullikson

Re: Talk at Scipy Conference

Thomas Kluyver-2
Hi Kevin,

On 27 March 2015 at 12:40, Kevin Gullikson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all, sorry if this is slightly off topic. I am thinking about applying to give a talk at the Scipy 2015 conference. Does anyone here know what happens if my talk is declined? At the astronomy conferences I have been to, you automatically just give a poster if your talk is not accepted. Is that the case at Scipy?

I know people who have submitted a talk proposal for Scipy in previous years and had it accepted as a poster, but I don't think that's automatic for everyone whose talk is declined. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thomas

Re: Talk at Scipy Conference

Jonathan Rocher-2
Hi Kevin,

I think that Thomas is correct: in the past few years, we had around 1/3 talks, 1/3 posters and 1/3 rejections. It is unfortunate, but we don't have enough poster spots to give one to anyone one who applies.

Good luck with your submission and hope to see you this summer.

Best,
Jonathan

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:53 PM, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kevin,

On 27 March 2015 at 12:40, Kevin Gullikson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all, sorry if this is slightly off topic. I am thinking about applying to give a talk at the Scipy 2015 conference. Does anyone here know what happens if my talk is declined? At the astronomy conferences I have been to, you automatically just give a poster if your talk is not accepted. Is that the case at Scipy?

I know people who have submitted a talk proposal for Scipy in previous years and had it accepted as a poster, but I don't think that's automatic for everyone whose talk is declined. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thomas

Jonathan Rocher
Austin TX, USA
Cell : +1 512 501 0865