[SciPy-User] Thermal radiation heat transfer between surfaces

[SciPy-User] Thermal radiation heat transfer between surfaces

Paweł Kwaśniewski
Dear SciPy community,

I'm a bit stuck trying to simulate heat transfer by radiation only (elements in a vacuum chamber). The problem involves calculating the so called view factor (well explained in section 4 of http://mafija.fmf.uni-lj.si/seminar/files/2015_2016/Thermal_radiation_heat_transfer_between_surfaces_Luka_Klobucar.pdf), which is a double surface integral. I was hoping to find some ready Python code, but I failed. Maybe someone is aware of either heat transfer calculation libraries in Python or just 3D view factor calculations? If not, maybe some hints on numerical calculations of surface integrals in Python? I've found view3d, but the code is rather outdated and I'm struggling to compile it (I tried Windows 10, Archinux, Ubuntu, but I'm an amateur in software building).

Best,

Pawel

Re: Thermal radiation heat transfer between surfaces

Panagiotis Zestanakis
Dear Pawel.

In order to compute a surface integral, first you should parametrize your surface and express it as a double integral.
A similar procedure is followed for example in eq.30 in the document.

After that, `dbquad`, `tpquad` or `nquad` from scipy.integrade should do the job.

In case your surface is composed of distinct polygons, maybe you should consider replacing the integral with a sum.
I hope this helps.

Best,

Panos