[SciPy-User] install problem

Larry Martell

Trying to install scipy on ubuntu-trusty-64 running Python 2.7.6. It's
failing with:

$ sudo pip install scipy
Downloading/unpacking scipy
  Downloading scipy-1.0.0.tar.gz (15.2MB): 15.2MB downloaded
  Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/scipy/setup.py) egg_info
for package scipy
    /usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown
distribution option: 'python_requires'

Followed by many screens full of errors. Is that just a warning or is
that the issue? I've installed many other packages without a problem
on this same system. What is the issue here?

Re: install problem

ralfgommers

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Larry Martell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Trying to install scipy on ubuntu-trusty-64 running Python 2.7.6. It's
failing with:

$ sudo pip install scipy

"sudo pip" is a bad idea, you're installing to the same place that your package manager installs things to. If you want to install from source for a Python installed by APT, use `pip install scipy --user`.

Downloading/unpacking scipy
  Downloading scipy-1.0.0.tar.gz (15.2MB): 15.2MB downloaded
  Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/scipy/setup.py) egg_info
for package scipy
    /usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown
distribution option: 'python_requires'

This is just a warning, not an error. We cannot tell what is wrong from that. Please provide a full build log, preferably as a gist.

Re: install problem

Matthew Brett
Hi,

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Larry Martell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> Trying to install scipy on ubuntu-trusty-64 running Python 2.7.6. It's
>> failing with:
>>
>> $ sudo pip install scipy
>

> "sudo pip" is a bad idea, you're installing to the same place that your
> package manager installs things to. If you want to install from source for a
> Python installed by APT, use `pip install scipy --user`.
>
>> Downloading/unpacking scipy
>>   Downloading scipy-1.0.0.tar.gz (15.2MB): 15.2MB downloaded
>>   Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/scipy/setup.py) egg_info
>> for package scipy
>>     /usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown
>> distribution option: 'python_requires'
>

> This is just a warning, not an error. We cannot tell what is wrong from
> that. Please provide a full build log, preferably as a gist.

Also - I suspect you have a really old version of pip - because it
doesn't recognize 'python_requires' and is not downloading the binary
wheel.  Your life would be much easier if you reinstall pip with:

wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
python get-pip.py --user

Then make sure that $HOME/.local/bin is on your path and

hash -r

to make sure that you get the new pip command.

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: install problem

Guillaume Gay
Also, it should be pointed out at that point that python 2.7 will not be
supported long, so if you have the option on that machine (which should
be the case if you are a sudoer), prefer a python 3.6 install, it will
play out much better in the long run.

You might also want to have a look at the conda package manager...

Best,

Guillaume

Le 09/12/2017 à 10:37, Matthew Brett a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Larry Martell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Trying to install scipy on ubuntu-trusty-64 running Python 2.7.6. It's
>>> failing with:
>>>
>>> $ sudo pip install scipy
>>
>> "sudo pip" is a bad idea, you're installing to the same place that your
>> package manager installs things to. If you want to install from source for a
>> Python installed by APT, use `pip install scipy --user`.
>>
>>> Downloading/unpacking scipy
>>>    Downloading scipy-1.0.0.tar.gz (15.2MB): 15.2MB downloaded
>>>    Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/scipy/setup.py) egg_info
>>> for package scipy
>>>      /usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown
>>> distribution option: 'python_requires'
>>
>> This is just a warning, not an error. We cannot tell what is wrong from
>> that. Please provide a full build log, preferably as a gist.
> Also - I suspect you have a really old version of pip - because it
> doesn't recognize 'python_requires' and is not downloading the binary
> wheel.  Your life would be much easier if you reinstall pip with:
>
> wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
> python get-pip.py --user
>
> Then make sure that $HOME/.local/bin is on your path and
>
> hash -r
>
> to make sure that you get the new pip command.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

Guillaume Gay, PhD

Morphgénie Logiciels SAS
http://morphogenie.fr

12 rue Camoin Jeune
13004 Marseille

  +336 51 95 94 00

Re: install problem

Larry Martell
On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Matthew Brett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Ralf Gommers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Larry Martell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Trying to install scipy on ubuntu-trusty-64 running Python 2.7.6. It's
>>> failing with:
>>>
>>> $ sudo pip install scipy
>>

>> "sudo pip" is a bad idea, you're installing to the same place that your
>> package manager installs things to. If you want to install from source for a
>> Python installed by APT, use `pip install scipy --user`.
>>
>>> Downloading/unpacking scipy
>>>   Downloading scipy-1.0.0.tar.gz (15.2MB): 15.2MB downloaded
>>>   Running setup.py (path:/tmp/pip_build_root/scipy/setup.py) egg_info
>>> for package scipy
>>>     /usr/lib/python2.7/distutils/dist.py:267: UserWarning: Unknown
>>> distribution option: 'python_requires'
>>

>> This is just a warning, not an error. We cannot tell what is wrong from
>> that. Please provide a full build log, preferably as a gist.
>
> Also - I suspect you have a really old version of pip - because it
> doesn't recognize 'python_requires' and is not downloading the binary
> wheel.  Your life would be much easier if you reinstall pip with:
>
> wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
> python get-pip.py --user
>
> Then make sure that $HOME/.local/bin is on your path and
>
> hash -r
>
> to make sure that you get the new pip command.

Thank you very much. That worked perfectly.