[SciPy-User] why scipy.special.mathieu_cem is not periodic?

[SciPy-User] why scipy.special.mathieu_cem is not periodic?

Ming Lu
Dear all:

I have a question regarding the special function
scipy.special.mathieu_cem, why this function
not periodic? I thought this function should have period pi when m is
even, and 2*pi when m
is odd, however this is not the case:

x = np.linspace(0,10*np.pi,100)
plt.plot(x,sp.mathieu_cem(3,3,x)[0])
plt.show()

compare with mathematica, it clearly shows a period graph.

To see the graph, I have the detailed post on stackoverflow.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43615531/why-mathieu-function-in-scipy-not-periodic

Best regards,
 Ming

Re: why scipy.special.mathieu_cem is not periodic?

Ming Lu
The period seems more in scipy than in mathematica, even after
converting to degrees.

On 4/26/17, David Goldsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you see the answer on stackoverflow?
>
> DLG
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:10 AM Ming Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all:
>>
>> I have a question regarding the special function
>> scipy.special.mathieu_cem, why this function
>> not periodic? I thought this function should have period pi when m is
>> even, and 2*pi when m
>> is odd, however this is not the case:
>>
>> x = np.linspace(0,10*np.pi,100)
>> plt.plot(x,sp.mathieu_cem(3,3,x)[0])
>> plt.show()
>>
>> compare with mathematica, it clearly shows a period graph.
>>
>> To see the graph, I have the detailed post on stackoverflow.
>>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43615531/why-mathieu-function-in-scipy-not-periodic
>>
>> Best regards,
>>  Ming

   Ming Lu

----
Ming Lu, graduate student of  second year,
ICQM, Peking University <http://icqm.pku.edu.cn>

Re: why scipy.special.mathieu_cem is not periodic?

David Goldsmith
But you are now seeing periodicity?  Visual comparison can be "tricky": output numerical results from each at common abscissae to, e.g., CSV files, and then import them into a spreadsheet and then look at the differences that way.  (I imagine such detailed verification of a problem will be required before a ticket would be accepted, unless someone else is concerned enough to independently verify the problem.  In other words, people are probably going to want to see that you've done "due diligence" before pursuing this.  But i could be wrong...)

DLG

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM Ming Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:
The period seems more in scipy than in mathematica, even after
converting to degrees.

On 4/26/17, David Goldsmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Did you see the answer on stackoverflow?
>
> DLG
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:10 AM Ming Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all:
>>
>> I have a question regarding the special function
>> scipy.special.mathieu_cem, why this function
>> not periodic? I thought this function should have period pi when m is
>> even, and 2*pi when m
>> is odd, however this is not the case:
>>
>> x = np.linspace(0,10*np.pi,100)
>> plt.plot(x,sp.mathieu_cem(3,3,x)[0])
>> plt.show()
>>
>> compare with mathematica, it clearly shows a period graph.
>>
>> To see the graph, I have the detailed post on stackoverflow.
>>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43615531/why-mathieu-function-in-scipy-not-periodic
>>
>> Best regards,
>>  Ming

   Ming Lu