Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

Warren Weckesser-2
I am have a Mac running OSX 10.4.  My current installation of numpy and scipy is broken, so I want to clean up and start from scratch. I just installed Python 2.5.2 using a binary from the python web site.  I have several questions:

1.  numpy's setup.py doesn't have an "uninstall" command.  Is that normal?  What is the standard way to remove something that I installed using setup.py?  I want to clean out my Python2.4 broken installations.

2.  Having just installed python 2.5.2, I ran "setup.py build" in the numpy-1.0.4 directory.  It generated lots of output, but I don't know if everything built correctly.  There are some error messages about _configtest.c having errors. Can I test the build without first installing it?

3. The instructions at http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X suggest that the command  "export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4" be given before building scipy for OSX 10.4.  It is not clear from those instructions if that macro is also used when building numpy.  I ran the build command twice, once before defining the variable and once after defining it, and it does change how numpy is built--well, it changes the names of some directories, anyway.  Is this macro also supposed to be defined when building numpy?

Thanks,

Warren


_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

Stéfan van der Walt
Hi Warren

On 16/04/2008, Warren Weckesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1.  numpy's setup.py doesn't have an "uninstall" command.  Is that normal?
> What is the standard way to remove something that I installed using
> setup.py?  I want to clean out my Python2.4 broken installations.

Not as far as I know -- I always erase the directories by hand.

> 2.  Having just installed python 2.5.2, I ran "setup.py build" in the
> numpy-1.0.4 directory.  It generated lots of output, but I don't know if
> everything built correctly.  There are some error messages about
> _configtest.c having errors. Can I test the build without first installing
> it?

python setup.py install --prefix=${HOME}/test_install

Then

export PYTHONPATH=${HOME}/test_install/lib/python2.5/site/packages:${PYTHONPATH}

Now you can run Python, import numpy, and execute the test suite.

> 3. The instructions at
> http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X suggest that
> the command  "export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4" be given before building
> scipy for OSX 10.4.  It is not clear from those instructions if that macro
> is also used when building numpy.  I ran the build command twice, once
> before defining the variable and once after defining it, and it does change
> how numpy is built--well, it changes the names of some directories, anyway.
> Is this macro also supposed to be defined when building numpy?

I don't export that variable on my system, but I have very little
experience with building on OSX.

Cheers
Stéfan
_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

Matthieu Brucher-2
In reply to this post by Warren Weckesser-2


2008/4/16, Warren Weckesser <[hidden email]>:
I am have a Mac running OSX 10.4.  My current installation of numpy and scipy is broken, so I want to clean up and start from scratch. I just installed Python 2.5.2 using a binary from the python web site.  I have several questions:

1.  numpy's setup.py doesn't have an "uninstall" command.  Is that normal?  What is the standard way to remove something that I installed using setup.py?  I want to clean out my Python2.4 broken installations.

Hi,

This is not available with distutils or setuptools, unfortunately.

Matthieu
--
French PhD student
Website : http://matthieu-brucher.developpez.com/
Blogs : http://matt.eifelle.com and http://blog.developpez.com/?blog=92
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/matthieubrucher
_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

Robert Kern-2
In reply to this post by Warren Weckesser-2
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Warren Weckesser
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am have a Mac running OSX 10.4.  My current installation of numpy and
> scipy is broken, so I want to clean up and start from scratch. I just
> installed Python 2.5.2 using a binary from the python web site.  I have
> several questions:
>
> 1.  numpy's setup.py doesn't have an "uninstall" command.  Is that normal?

Yes.

> What is the standard way to remove something that I installed using
> setup.py?  I want to clean out my Python2.4 broken installations.

Delete the numpy/ directory in site-packages/ and delete the f2py
script wherever it got installed to. It is probably in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/bin/.

> 2.  Having just installed python 2.5.2, I ran "setup.py build" in the
> numpy-1.0.4 directory.  It generated lots of output, but I don't know if
> everything built correctly.  There are some error messages about
> _configtest.c having errors.

Don't worry about these. In order to figure out if your system
supports certain features, we try to compile and execute a number of
small C programs. If the compilation fails, then your system doesn't
support that feature; that's fine, we just make the appropriate
configuration setting.

> 3. The instructions at http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X
> suggest that the command  "export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4" be given
> before building scipy for OSX 10.4.  It is not clear from those instructions
> if that macro is also used when building numpy.  I ran the build command
> twice, once before defining the variable and once after defining it, and it
> does change how numpy is built--well, it changes the names of some
> directories, anyway.  Is this macro also supposed to be defined when
> building numpy?

Don't bother for either numpy or scipy.

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

Warren Weckesser-2
In reply to this post by Stéfan van der Walt


On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Warren

On 16/04/2008, Warren Weckesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1.  numpy's setup.py doesn't have an "uninstall" command.  Is that normal?
> What is the standard way to remove something that I installed using
> setup.py?  I want to clean out my Python2.4 broken installations.

Not as far as I know -- I always erase the directories by hand.

Seems like a significant feature to be missing.


> 2.  Having just installed python 2.5.2, I ran "setup.py build" in the
> numpy-1.0.4 directory.  It generated lots of output, but I don't know if
> everything built correctly.  There are some error messages about
> _configtest.c having errors. Can I test the build without first installing
> it?

python setup.py install --prefix=${HOME}/test_install

Then

export PYTHONPATH=${HOME}/test_install/lib/python2.5/site/packages:${PYTHONPATH}

Now you can run Python, import numpy, and execute the test suite.

Thanks!  Works great.
 

Warren



_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

Robert Kern-2
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Warren Weckesser
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Warren
> >
> >
> > On 16/04/2008, Warren Weckesser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > 1.  numpy's setup.py doesn't have an "uninstall" command.  Is that
> normal?
> > > What is the standard way to remove something that I installed using
> > > setup.py?  I want to clean out my Python2.4 broken installations.
> >
> > Not as far as I know -- I always erase the directories by hand.
>
> Seems like a significant feature to be missing.

True, but it's not really up to us, but rather distutils.

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

cdavid
In reply to this post by Stéfan van der Walt
Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>
> I don't export that variable on my system, but I have very little
> experience with building on OSX.
>  

Distutils is supposed to take care of it in recent pythons, I believe.
In numscons, I had problems because this was not defined.

cheers,

David
_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Testing build before installing (numpy and scipy)

Warren Weckesser-2
In reply to this post by Robert Kern-2


On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Warren Weckesser
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am have a Mac running OSX 10.4. 
<snip>

> 3. The instructions at http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X
> suggest that the command  "export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4" be given
> before building scipy for OSX 10.4.  It is not clear from those instructions
> if that macro is also used when building numpy.  I ran the build command
> twice, once before defining the variable and once after defining it, and it
> does change how numpy is built--well, it changes the names of some
> directories, anyway.  Is this macro also supposed to be defined when
> building numpy?

Don't bother for either numpy or scipy.

This really doesn't matter?  Changing the variable changes the  names of the directories that are created in the build subdirectory.  Does it also affect how the build process finds Frameworks?  I have Frameworks for 10.3.9 and 10.4 (this computer was upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4).  I built numpy with MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 and it passed all the tests.


_______________________________________________
SciPy-user mailing list
[hidden email]
http://projects.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user