Today's Scientific Computing Webinar

Amenity Applewhite
Registration for today's Scientific Computing with Python webinar will be open until the webinar begins at 1:00pm CDT (6pm UTC). Join us!

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/158182457

July 17th: Step-by-step Chaco

On Friday, July 17th, we'll be taking a look at Chaco, an component of our open-source Enthought Tool Suite.

It seems that this powerful tool impressed participants at last month's webinar, as numerous attendees responded with "Cool!! But how can I do that?" So Peter Wang, Enthought's Director of Technical Architecture, has offered to pick up where he left off last month and give a step-by step introduction to Chaco. This will include a closer examination of the code and more in-depth guidance on how use it for visualizing your data with 2D plotting.

This event will take place on Friday, July 17th at 1:00pm CDT (6pm UTC) and will last 60 to 90 minutes, depending on the questions asked. If you would like to participate, please register at https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/158182457.

Can't get enough scientific computing with Python?

This Scientific Computing with Python series focuses on the free and open-source Enthought Tool Suite and and should not be confused with our EPD webinar series. The latter is meant to provide customized support for our EPD Basic or above subscribers, and we initially intended for it to be closed to the public. Many non-subscribers have expressed interest in the series, however, so we have decided to allow non-subscribers to add their name to a waiting list for each EPD webinar. While EPD subscribers will be guaranteed entry and attendance will be capped at 35, we'll draw names from the waiting lists to available seats. These webinars are more intimate, with participatory demonstrations and VOIP question and answer available to attendees, and we think it's a great opportunity for us to support the broader SciPy community. For details, seehttp://www.enthought.com/training/webinars.php.

Thanks, and see you Friday!

The Enthought Team
--
Amenity Applewhite
Enthought, Inc.

Re: Today's Scientific Computing Webinar

Timmie
Administrator
Thanks a lot for providing this! A real big thing.

I have issues with the WMV videos on a Linux (Ubuntu) system:

I can see the video correctly:
http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-07Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv

The earlier ones do not show a video. I can only hear the audio track:
http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-06-19Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-05-22_Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv

I use VLC.

Thanks and regards,
Timmie

Re: Today's Scientific Computing Webinar

Gökhan SEVER-2

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Tim Michelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks a lot for providing this! A real big thing.

I have issues with the WMV videos on a Linux (Ubuntu) system:

I can see the video correctly:
http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-07Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv

The earlier ones do not show a video. I can only hear the audio track:
http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-06-19Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-05-22_Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv

I use VLC.

Thanks and regards,
Timmie

For some reasons some wmv's don't work on my Fedora 10 either. Neither with VLC nor with mplayer. Seems to me an encoding issue. One technique might be to convert wmv's to avi's using mencoder to fix this viewing problem.

However, the very last recorded wmv works pretty nicely with mplayer. This said, there are cases where video was working on vlc, but not audio, and reverse situation for mplayer :)

In the case where I can't find any solution, I just switch to windows and use kml player. It can play almost every codec without any problem.

--
Gökhan

Re: Today's Scientific Computing Webinar

Joe Kington-2
For what it's worth, they work for me on openSuse with mplayer.

I've got ffmpeg installed, which is apparently what it's using...
File: 2009-06-19Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
<snip>
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
[wmv3 @ 0x88c6470]Extra data: 8 bits left, value: 0
Selected video codec: [ffwmv3] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg WMV3/WMV9)
<snip>

Hope that helps in some way...
-Joe

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Gökhan SEVER <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Travis Oliphant-5

On Jul 18, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Tim Michelsen wrote:

> Thanks a lot for providing this! A real big thing.
>
> I have issues with the WMV videos on a Linux (Ubuntu) system:
>
> I can see the video correctly:
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-07Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
>
> The earlier ones do not show a video. I can only hear the audio track:
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-06-19Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-05-22_Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
>
> I use VLC.

Thank you for the feedback.  We definitely have some work to do to
improve the archived video delivery.

Best regards,

-Travis

--
Travis Oliphant
Enthought Inc.

Re: Today's Scientific Computing Webinar

Ernest A.C.
18/07/09 @ 18:03 (+0200), thus spake Tim Michelsen:
> I have issues with the WMV videos on a Linux (Ubuntu) system:
>
> I can see the video correctly:
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-07Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
>
> The earlier ones do not show a video. I can only hear the audio track:
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-06-19Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv
> http://download.enthought.com/media/2009-05-22_Scientific_Computing_with_Python_Webinar.wmv

I can play the first two, but the last one shows no video.

mplayer says:

Requested video codec family [gotomeeting] (vfm=dmo) not available.
Enable it at compilation.

and vlc:
[00000456] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `G2M3'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.

This is on a Debian system.

Ernest