feature extraction from an image.

morovia morovia
Dear scipy users,

       I am facing difficulty in the extraction of specific feature from an
image from a time series.  There is a small speck which is irregular in shape within the circular region of the domain.

I am trying to calculate the velocity at which the speck is moving based on
this.  A sample image is attached.

Thanks
Best regards

Viswanath

02.jpeg (55K) Download Attachment

Re: feature extraction from an image.

Zachary Pincus-2
> Dear scipy users,
>
>        I am facing difficulty in the extraction of specific feature from an
> image from a time series.

In general, you may want to investigate the tools in the scikits-image ("skimage") package:
http://scikits-image.org/

> There is a small speck which is irregular in shape within the circular region of the domain.
>
> I am trying to calculate the velocity at which the speck is moving based on
> this.  A sample image is attached.

This could be a very easy task or a very hard task, depending on a lot of information about the timeseries images that you haven't provided:
(1) Is the circular region constant in size/position/coloration?
(2) Is the "speck" constant in shape/coloration?
(3) Are there other transient "specks" or other sources of noise?
(4) Are there multiple "specks" at once?
(5) How many time-series do you have? How many frames per time-series?
(6) Are there variations (in any of the above features) between the different time-series you have that may not be present within each single time-series? (Such as differences in coloration or position of the circular region?)
and so forth.

Perhaps you could post a sample timeseries somewhere online and provide a link, so that it's easier to get a sense of the problem?

Also, where is this data derived from? Perhaps that information would help formulate a good solution.

Zach

Re: feature extraction from an image.

Jerome Kieffer
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:18:26 +0530
morovia morovia <[hidden email]> wrote:

>        I am facing difficulty in the extraction of specific feature from an
> image from a time series.  There is a small speck which is irregular in
> shape within the circular region of the domain.
>
> I am trying to calculate the velocity at which the speck is moving based on
> this.  A sample image is attached.

I made some bindings for "feature extraction" of images (like SIFT and SURF) for image alignment.
The code is here:
https://github.com/kif/imageAlignment

cheers,

--