installing numpy on ubuntu

Michael Hearne-2
I'm trying to install numpy/scipy/matplotlib/basemap on a fresh
installation of Ubuntu.

The available versions of each I've found on Ubuntu:
numpy: Version: 1:1.0.4-6ubuntu3
scipy: Version: 0.6.0-8ubuntu1
matplotlib: Version: 0.91.2-0ubuntu1

Basemap (a matplotlib toolkit) does not appear in Ubuntu, it seems.

The problem is that the supported version of Basemap depends on
matplotlib versions 0.98 and greater, and for that I need numpy 1.1.

I have two questions:
1) Is there an apt-get repository for the more recent versions of numpy
(or any of these other packages)
2) Failing 1, should the building of numpy on an Ubuntu system be a
straightforward "configure;make;make install"?  God, I hope so.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Hearne
[hidden email]
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.

Re: installing numpy on ubuntu

Gabriel Gellner
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:47:13AM -0600, Michael Hearne wrote:

> I'm trying to install numpy/scipy/matplotlib/basemap on a fresh
> installation of Ubuntu.
>
> The available versions of each I've found on Ubuntu:
> numpy: Version: 1:1.0.4-6ubuntu3
> scipy: Version: 0.6.0-8ubuntu1
> matplotlib: Version: 0.91.2-0ubuntu1
>
> Basemap (a matplotlib toolkit) does not appear in Ubuntu, it seems.
>
> The problem is that the supported version of Basemap depends on
> matplotlib versions 0.98 and greater, and for that I need numpy 1.1.
>
> I have two questions:
> 1) Is there an apt-get repository for the more recent versions of numpy
> (or any of these other packages)
There sure is! Check out the awesome repo maintained by Andrew Straw:
http://debs.astraw.com/hardy/
(note: I use the hardy versions, but he maintains a lot of versions for older
ubuntu's, see the direction at the link above)

> 2) Failing 1, should the building of numpy on an Ubuntu system be a
> straightforward "configure;make;make install"?  God, I hope so.

This is also relatively easy, more of a:
1. Make sure you have the development libraries
2. Then do a python setup.py build; python setup.py install

If you choose to go this route instead of using the above debs (which are
awesome . . .) I can give you more help if needed.

Good luck!

Gabriel

Re: installing numpy on ubuntu

Timmie
Administrator
>> 2) Failing 1, should the building of numpy on an Ubuntu system be a
>> straightforward "configure;make;make install"?  God, I hope so.
here I described another possibility:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.numeric.general/23078