problem with documentation for `jn` and `jv` Bessel functions

problem with documentation for `jn` and `jv` Bessel functions

pfeldman
The documentation for `jv` and `jn` in http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/special.html#module-scipy.special needs some fixing. I believe that `jn` evaluates the Bessel function of the first kind for integer order n at complex z, and that `jv` evaluates the Bessel function of the first kind for real order v at complex z.  (I tried to edit the page in question, but although I can log in, I'm unable to actually edit anything).

Re: [SciPy-user] problem with documentation for `jn` and `jv` Bessel functions

Robert Kern-2
On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 20:33, Dr. Phillip M. Feldman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The documentation for `jv` and `jn` in
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/special.html#module-scipy.special
> needs some fixing. I believe that `jn` evaluates the Bessel function of the
> first kind for integer order n at complex z, and that `jv` evaluates the
> Bessel function of the first kind for real order v at complex z.  (I tried
> to edit the page in question, but although I can log in, I'm unable to
> actually edit anything).

jn() is currently just an alias to jv(). The jn() implementation was
found to be buggy for certain combinations of inputs and the floating
point algorithm for jv() wasn't too bad performancewise over an
integer algorithm.

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco