satellite imagery

questions anon
Can anyone suggest any good python books or tutorials for using satellite imagery?

Re: satellite imagery

David Warde-Farley-2
On 14-Aug-09, at 6:18 PM, questions anon wrote:

> Can anyone suggest any good python books or tutorials for using
> satellite imagery?

And doing what with it? You'll have to be more specific.

Re: satellite imagery

questions anon
Thanks for responding. Some of the processing I would like to do include:
Import a hdf file, open calibrated data (VSWIR to TIR) and display image using different band combinations.
From the hdf open the pixel latitude and longitude and georeference the image.
Process the images to apparent reflectance, emissivity and brightness temperature
Process the images to certain indices using simple band math.
Overlay a vector file and calculate the mean values of the raster within the vector region.
I would like to do this for many different files images.
Thanks

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM, David Warde-Farley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14-Aug-09, at 6:18 PM, questions anon wrote:

> Can anyone suggest any good python books or tutorials for using
> satellite imagery?

And doing what with it? You'll have to be more specific.

Re: satellite imagery

Jose Gomez-Dans
Hi,

2009/8/17 questions anon <[hidden email]>
Thanks for responding. Some of the processing I would like to do include:
Import a hdf file, open calibrated data (VSWIR to TIR) and display image using different band combinations.
From the hdf open the pixel latitude and longitude and georeference the image.
Process the images to apparent reflectance, emissivity and brightness temperature
Process the images to certain indices using simple band math.
Overlay a vector file and calculate the mean values of the raster within the vector region.
I would like to do this for many different files images.

This is fairly straightforward stuff (in principle!). You can use GDAL's python bindings to open HDF files (your data looks like ASTER), and then use matplotlib to plot colour composites. Any further image manipulations are quite easy as everything is an array. You might need to watch memory usage, and do image processing by blocks.

Re: satellite imagery

Timmie
Administrator
questions anon schrieb:

> Thanks for responding. Some of the processing I would like to do include:
> Import a hdf file, open calibrated data (VSWIR to TIR) and display image
> using different band combinations.
>  From the hdf open the pixel latitude and longitude and georeference the
> image.
> Process the images to apparent reflectance, emissivity and brightness
> temperature
> Process the images to certain indices using simple band math.
> Overlay a vector file and calculate the mean values of the raster within
> the vector region.
> I would like to do this for many different files images.
> Thanks
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM, David Warde-Farley <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 14-Aug-09, at 6:18 PM, questions anon wrote:
>
>      > Can anyone suggest any good python books or tutorials for using
>      > satellite imagery?
I never done any sat. imagery with python only.
But the GFOSS GRASS has al modules/tool chains you need
http://grass.osgeo.org/

It's a GIS programme which can be used within a scriptable environment:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Python

Good luck.

Re: satellite imagery

questions anon
Thanks for getting back to me, but the only image processing tutorial for GRASS and python that I could find from that link was one that said it is 'slightly outdated'. I am looking for lots of examples as I am only a beginner. I have access to all the ENthought tools, can this all be done in SciPy?? Specifically for satellite and airborne remotely sensed data.
Really looking for examples/tutorials/books.
Thanks

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Tim Michelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
questions anon schrieb:
> Thanks for responding. Some of the processing I would like to do include:
> Import a hdf file, open calibrated data (VSWIR to TIR) and display image
> using different band combinations.
>  From the hdf open the pixel latitude and longitude and georeference the
> image.
> Process the images to apparent reflectance, emissivity and brightness
> temperature
> Process the images to certain indices using simple band math.
> Overlay a vector file and calculate the mean values of the raster within
> the vector region.
> I would like to do this for many different files images.
> Thanks
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 12:01 AM, David Warde-Farley <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 14-Aug-09, at 6:18 PM, questions anon wrote:
>
>      > Can anyone suggest any good python books or tutorials for using
>      > satellite imagery?
I never done any sat. imagery with python only.
But the GFOSS GRASS has al modules/tool chains you need
http://grass.osgeo.org/

It's a GIS programme which can be used within a scriptable environment:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Python

Good luck.

Re: satellite imagery

Jose Gomez-Dans

2009/8/17 questions anon <[hidden email]>
Thanks for responding. Some of the processing I would like to do include:
Import a hdf file, open calibrated data (VSWIR to TIR) and display image using different band combinations.
From the hdf open the pixel latitude and longitude and georeference the image.
Process the images to apparent reflectance, emissivity and brightness temperature
Process the images to certain indices using simple band math.
Overlay a vector file and calculate the mean values of the raster within the vector region.

But for the last point, most of the stuff is demonstrated in a web page I've just put up. I focus on using GDAL in combination with the scipy/numpy/pylab stack.
<http://sites.google.com/site/spatialpython/processing-aster-with-python-numpy-and-gdal>

The last point is relatively straightforward to do with python, but I haven't yet got round to writing it up.

Hope it helps,
Jose

Re: satellite imagery

Timmie
Administrator
> Thanks for getting back to me, but the only image processing tutorial
> for GRASS and python that I could find from that link was one that said
> it is 'slightly outdated'. I am looking for lots of examples as I am
> only a beginner. I have access to all the ENthought tools, can this all
> be done in SciPy?? Specifically for satellite and airborne remotely
> sensed data.
> Really looking for examples/tutorials/books.
as others said:
you need to specify a bit more on what's your objective.

Due to -- as I think -- historical reasons -- the remote sensing
commuity has been using IDL for long.

See for instance this here: http://radartools.berlios.de/

Is this waht you are aiming at?
Do you neet just to process some data (use GRASS standalone) or want to
set up a automatic processing chain? You could do thins python or bash
or ... after your algorithms prove to give results.

The books and examples really depend on where you wanna go and what your
topic is.

Keep us posted!

Re: satellite imagery

questions anon
Thanks again.
The example that Jose sent through is really what I am looking for. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but those are the steps I am looking to use. I am very much a beginner at programming so any examples like this are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Sarah

as others said:
you need to specify a bit more on what's your objective.

Due to -- as I think -- historical reasons -- the remote sensing
commuity has been using IDL for long.

See for instance this here: http://radartools.berlios.de/

Is this waht you are aiming at?
Do you neet just to process some data (use GRASS standalone) or want to
set up a automatic processing chain? You could do thins python or bash
or ... after your algorithms prove to give results.

The books and examples really depend on where you wanna go and what your
topic is.

Keep us posted!

Re: satellite imagery

Timmie
Administrator
I liked Jose's examples.
As I work with imagery here and there, I got interested and checked it
out myself.

Here is what I found:

Howard Butler (http://twitter.com/howardbutler) had given a great
tutorial together with Sean Gilles [3] at OSGEO 2005 [1] .
Unfortunately, materials have been taken offline. I have 6 PDF files of
these which I can mail you if you sent me a private mail.

Another one seems to be here:
Shoaib Burq - Open Source Python GIS Hacks
http://www.osdc.com.au/papers/tutorials.html#open
and materials at:
http://geospatial.nomad-labs.com/2006/12/05/open-source-developers-conference-2006-melbourne-australia/

On the other hand: why are you trying to reinvent?
FOSS4G or OSGEO have evolved as the body for this stuff:
* http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Python_Library
* http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Python
* more on the mailing list:

http://n2.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?forum=1837860&local=y&query=python
* nearly all programs at http://www.osgeo.org/ have a python or jython
interface

others have gatherd around:
* http://pywps.wald.intevation.org/
* http://pywms.wald.intevation.org/

@Jose and others:
Jose did some stuff nice python & gdal - mpl stuff.
But generally, it seems that few people are working with python and
imagery directly:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=satellite

The general GIS stuff gets more matches:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=391

Here is what I found:
* http://cosmicproject.org/links.html
* [Image-SIG] working with multi-spectral imagery, PIL, and NumPy
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2007-May/004430.html
     => seems to have writen a tutorial.
* http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/
    for Python see:
    - http://mateusz.loskot.net/category/projects/liblas-projects/
    - http://liblas.org/ => http://liblas.org/wiki/PythonTutorial
    - http://pypi.python.org/pypi/libLAS
* http://geospatialpython.com/
* Case study

http://vnoel.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/bye-matlab-hello-python-thanks-sage/
* organisations
    http://wiki.python.org/moin/OrganizationsUsingPython
* Python in remote sensing: http://www.smhi.se/saf/about_py.pdf

[1] http://old-mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/agenda2005.html
[2] http://hobu.biz/index_html/OSGIS_hacks
[3] http://sgillies.net/blog / http://trac.gispython.org/lab

I'd like to ask you to summarise your findings also in a wiki. Either
scipy cookbook or osgeo wiki.
At the osgeo lists / wiki you may also finde more infos.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Timmie

Re: satellite imagery

questions anon
Wow thanks Timmie, those links should get me started!
Thank you for your help. I will let you know how I go.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Tim Michelsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
[...]

Jorge E. ´Sanchez Sanchez
Dear Tim,

   I am doing some meteorological data analysis and I am interested also in the Howard Butler's tutorial, could you please send to me also those 6 PDF files, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance
   Jorge

> [...]
> * http://www.cs.unc.edu/~isenburg/lastools/
> for Python see:
> - http://mateusz.loskot.net/category/projects/liblas-projects/
> - http://liblas.org/ => http://liblas.org/wiki/PythonTutorial
> - http://pypi.python.org/pypi/libLAS
> * http://geospatialpython.com/
> * Case study
>
> http://vnoel.wordpress.com/2008/05/03/bye-matlab-hello-python-thanks-sage/
> * organisations
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/OrganizationsUsingPython
> * Python in remote sensing: http://www.smhi.se/saf/about_py.pdf
>
> [1] http://old-mapserver.gis.umn.edu/mum/agenda2005.html
> [2] http://hobu.biz/index_html/OSGIS_hacks
> [3] http://sgillies.net/blog / http://trac.gispython.org/lab
>
> I'd like to ask you to summarise your findings also in a wiki. Either
> scipy cookbook or osgeo wiki.
> At the osgeo lists / wiki you may also finde more infos.

Re: satellite imagery

Timmie
Administrator
>    I am doing some meteorological data analysis and I am interested also in
the Howard Butler's tutorial, could you please send to me also those 6 PDF
files, I would appreciate it very much.
I have asked the permission of the authors to redistribute and got.

The files are now here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Educational_Content_Inventory#OSGEO_2005:_Open_Source_Python_GIS_Hacks

Happy hacking!

Re: satellite imagery

Timmie
Administrator
FYI:

A new mailing list was created for the Python & geoprocessing stuff:

Unofficial Python GIS SIG
http://groups.google.com/group/python-gis-sig

and a nice tutorial was posted on that list, too:
Geoprocessing with Python using Open Source GIS
http://www.gis.usu.edu/~chrisg/python/

Best,
Timmie