scipy.stats.distributions lacking categorical and multinomial?

scipy.stats.distributions lacking categorical and multinomial?

Ben Gamari-2
Is there any particular reason for the categorical (generalized
Bernoulli) and multinomial (generalized binomial) distribution not being
included in scipy.stats.distributions?

Cheers,

- Ben

Re: scipy.stats.distributions lacking categorical and multinomial?

Robert Kern-2
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any particular reason for the categorical (generalized
> Bernoulli) and multinomial (generalized binomial) distribution not being
> included in scipy.stats.distributions?

scipy.stats.distributions only provides a framework for univariate
distributions. It's not clear what the interfaces should be for
multivariate distributions, but you are welcome to make proposals.

Re: scipy.stats.distributions lacking categorical and multinomial?

jseabold
On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Ben Gamari <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason for the categorical (generalized
>> Bernoulli) and multinomial (generalized binomial) distribution not being
>> included in scipy.stats.distributions?
>
> scipy.stats.distributions only provides a framework for univariate
> distributions. It's not clear what the interfaces should be for
> multivariate distributions, but you are welcome to make proposals.

I don't know what your needs are, but FWIW, I've been able to get by
using np.random.multinomial for sampling and either rolling my own
functions or using PyMC for the included categorical_like and
multinomial_like.

Skipper