testieee NaN arithmetic did not perform per ieee spec with ifort

testieee NaN arithmetic did not perform per ieee spec with ifort

Michael Aye-2
Dear all,

compiling the lapack 3.4.1 with Intel's ifort compiler results in the
test program "testieee" not passing the NaN test:

"NaN arithmetic did not perform per the ieee spec"

When compiled with gfortran it passes this test.
Should I worry? Will the ifort compile work so much faster that it's
worth the little worry? (I will be working a lot with data binnings and
griddings, interpolations, fittings…)

Best regards,
Michael

Re: testieee NaN arithmetic did not perform per ieee spec with ifort

Jerome Kieffer
On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 16:16:24 -0700
"K.-Michael Aye" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> compiling the lapack 3.4.1 with Intel's ifort compiler results in the
> test program "testieee" not passing the NaN test:
>
> "NaN arithmetic did not perform per the ieee spec"
>
> When compiled with gfortran it passes this test.
> Should I worry? Will the ifort compile work so much faster that it's
> worth the little worry? (I will be working a lot with data binnings and
> griddings, interpolations, fittings…)

one should always use "-mp" option in intel compiler suite to have "more precise" math, i.e. ieee compliant math.

Then one realizes intel compiler are not that faster than gcc (but still a bit)

Jérôme Kieffer
Data analysis unit - ESRF

PS: -mp could have changed it's name since icc 10