where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

denis-bz-gg
Where should plots and other pngs refd from notes in
advice.mechanicalkern.com be put ?
Thanks, cheers
  -- denis
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Robert Kern-2
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:32, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Where should plots and other pngs refd from notes in
> advice.mechanicalkern.com be put ?

Wherever you like. There are many free image hosting sites available.
Try this one:

http://imgur.com/

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

denis-bz-gg
On Mar 15, 6:56 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:32, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Where should plots and other pngs refd from notes in
> > advice.mechanicalkern.com be put ?
>
> Wherever you like. There are many free image hosting sites available.
> Try this one:
>
> http://imgur.com/

Ok, but most of them delete files after a while. Is there a better
place
that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Robert Kern-2
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 13:27, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 6:56 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:32, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Where should plots and other pngs refd from notes in
>> > advice.mechanicalkern.com be put ?
>>
>> Wherever you like. There are many free image hosting sites available.
>> Try this one:
>>
>> http://imgur.com/
>
> Ok, but most of them delete files after a while.

imgur is nice in that they will not delete images as long as they are
getting at least one view every three months.

> Is there a better
> place
> that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?

There won't be a migration, sorry. The software is too different.

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

denis-bz-gg
On Mar 15, 7:41 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there a better
> > place
> > that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?
>
> There won't be a migration, sorry. The software is too different.

Too bad; I thought advice. a good idea.
Could you find time to post your ideas for a place for snippets and
micro-tutorials ?
    "... covering the whole spectrum dot by dot,
    so that he always began from a blindingly bright nucleus
    and ended at absolute black, or vice versa"
        -- Foucault's Pendulum

cheers
  -- denis
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Ryan May-3
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 7:41 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Is there a better
>> > place
>> > that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?
>>
>> There won't be a migration, sorry. The software is too different.
>
> Too bad; I thought advice. a good idea.
> Could you find time to post your ideas for a place for snippets and
> micro-tutorials ?

What I believe Robert is saying is that the old data on
advice.mechanicalkern.com won't be migrated to the new
advice.scipy.org, when it's created.

Ryan

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant
School of Meteorology
University of Oklahoma
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Robert Kern-2
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:01, Ryan May <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mar 15, 7:41 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> > Is there a better
>>> > place
>>> > that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?
>>>
>>> There won't be a migration, sorry. The software is too different.
>>
>> Too bad; I thought advice. a good idea.
>> Could you find time to post your ideas for a place for snippets and
>> micro-tutorials ?
>
> What I believe Robert is saying is that the old data on
> advice.mechanicalkern.com won't be migrated to the new
> advice.scipy.org, when it's created.

Correct.

That said, the site is not the place for snippets and micro-tutorials
like those which denis has posted. It is a site for asking and
answering questions. Snippets and micro-tutorials should go on the
wiki:

  http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

David Warde-Farley-2
In reply to this post by Ryan May-3
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:01:48PM -0500, Ryan May wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 7:41 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> > Is there a better
> >> > place
> >> > that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?
> >>
> >> There won't be a migration, sorry. The software is too different.
> >
> > Too bad; I thought advice. a good idea.
> > Could you find time to post your ideas for a place for snippets and
> > micro-tutorials ?
>
> What I believe Robert is saying is that the old data on
> advice.mechanicalkern.com won't be migrated to the new
> advice.scipy.org, when it's created.

Assuming the old site stays up for a while, I'll pitch in to manually migrate
questions and their selected "approved" answers.

Robert, any idea what markup the new site will use?

David
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Gökhan SEVER-2


On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM, David Warde-Farley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:01:48PM -0500, Ryan May wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 7:41 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> > Is there a better
> >> > place
> >> > that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?
> >>
> >> There won't be a migration, sorry. The software is too different.
> >
> > Too bad; I thought advice. a good idea.
> > Could you find time to post your ideas for a place for snippets and
> > micro-tutorials ?
>
> What I believe Robert is saying is that the old data on
> advice.mechanicalkern.com won't be migrated to the new
> advice.scipy.org, when it's created.

Assuming the old site stays up for a while, I'll pitch in to manually migrate
questions and their selected "approved" answers.

Robert, any idea what markup the new site will use?

David
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user

ask.scipy.org should be in test-drive :)

I can help with the migration if any help needed. It is very easy to access the old questions in these interfaces plus tagging makes life much easier. Highly voted - most answered questions listing the advantages can go on and on etc...

--
Gökhan

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Robert Kern-2
In reply to this post by David Warde-Farley-2
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 16:04, David Warde-Farley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 12:01:48PM -0500, Ryan May wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:46 AM, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > On Mar 15, 7:41 pm, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >> > Is there a better
>> >> > place
>> >> > that would ease the (planned ?) migration of advice to scipy.org ?
>> >>
>> >> There won't be a migration, sorry. The software is too different.
>> >
>> > Too bad; I thought advice. a good idea.
>> > Could you find time to post your ideas for a place for snippets and
>> > micro-tutorials ?
>>
>> What I believe Robert is saying is that the old data on
>> advice.mechanicalkern.com won't be migrated to the new
>> advice.scipy.org, when it's created.
>
> Assuming the old site stays up for a while, I'll pitch in to manually migrate
> questions and their selected "approved" answers.

Great!

> Robert, any idea what markup the new site will use?

Github-flavored Markdown minus the github-specific URLs.

http://github.github.com/github-flavored-markdown/

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Timmie
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gökhan SEVER-2

> ask.scipy.org should be in test-drive :)
The RSS
http://ask.scipy.org/en/newest.atom
 leads to

500 Internal Server Error

_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Robert Kern-2
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 17:17, Tim Michelsen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ask.scipy.org should be in test-drive :)
> The RSS
> http://ask.scipy.org/en/newest.atom
>  leads to
>
> 500 Internal Server Error

Fixed. Thank you.

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

denis-bz-gg
Sounds like a plan !
Advice.mechanicalkern has two aspects I really like,
that would be useful for ask.scipy / Cookbook too:

* realtime rendering, to edit and view locally, then post
    (what's the renderer in advice / SO ?)
* anyone can add comments / links (after login)

It would also be useful to collect Q+A examples in heaps
such as "indexing", "vectorizing", "plotting";
one-stop wikis on these would sure beat googling through mails
and would I think help learners and experts alike.  What say ?

cheers
  -- denis
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: where to put plots in advice.mechanicalkern ?

Robert Kern-2
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 06:11, denis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sounds like a plan !
> Advice.mechanicalkern has two aspects I really like,
> that would be useful for ask.scipy / Cookbook too:
>
> * realtime rendering, to edit and view locally, then post
>    (what's the renderer in advice / SO ?)

ask.scipy.org uses Markdown, like advice, and has realtime preview.

> * anyone can add comments / links (after login)

ask.scipy.org has this.

> It would also be useful to collect Q+A examples in heaps
> such as "indexing", "vectorizing", "plotting";
> one-stop wikis on these would sure beat googling through mails
> and would I think help learners and experts alike.  What say ?

This is what tags are for.

--
Robert Kern

"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless
enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as
though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco
_______________________________________________
SciPy-User mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.scipy.org/mailman/listinfo/scipy-user